Service Pack 2?

David

I just received theWindows Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft and wanted to
know what I needed to do first before installing. I have read so many post,
since I have been reading this newsgroup, about the bad experiences a lot of
people have had since installing and wanted to avoid any problems if
possible.
Also I have a Belkin Power Authority II that I had my old computer and
monitor hooked up to. When I turned on the Computer switch on the Belkin
the old computer started up, but the new 8400 comes on then goes right off,
and I have to push the on button in again. Is there a way to set up the new
computer so that it comes on when I push the Belkin switch?
Thanks for any help on this two problems.
david

David:

I guess it would be prudent to do a backup first.

I upgraded with absolutely no problems although as I recall it took about an
hour, even with my fast cable modem.

Mel
"david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I just received theWindows Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft and wanted to
> know what I needed to do first before installing. I have read so many
> post,
> since I have been reading this newsgroup, about the bad experiences a lot
> of
> people have had since installing and wanted to avoid any problems if
> possible.
> Also I have a Belkin Power Authority II that I had my old computer and
> monitor hooked up to. When I turned on the Computer switch on the Belkin
> the old computer started up, but the new 8400 comes on then goes right
> off,
> and I have to push the on button in again. Is there a way to set up the
> new
> computer so that it comes on when I push the Belkin switch?
> Thanks for any help on this two problems.
> david

I am not sure if you received a reply but that is a BIOS setting under power
management/AC recovery. I believe it has to be set to last state meaning if
the power goes off via a power bar then the system will power back up when
power is returned (hence returned to the last state when power is restored).

Regards,
John O.

"david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I just received theWindows Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft and wanted to
> know what I needed to do first before installing. I have read so many
> post,
> since I have been reading this newsgroup, about the bad experiences a lot
> of
> people have had since installing and wanted to avoid any problems if
> possible.
> Also I have a Belkin Power Authority II that I had my old computer and
> monitor hooked up to. When I turned on the Computer switch on the Belkin
> the old computer started up, but the new 8400 comes on then goes right
> off,
> and I have to push the on button in again. Is there a way to set up the
> new
> computer so that it comes on when I push the Belkin switch?
> Thanks for any help on this two problems.
> david

No. The motherboard is designed to be powered at all times.

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> David:
>

>> Also I have a Belkin Power Authority II that I had my old computer and
>> monitor hooked up to. When I turned on the Computer switch on the Belkin
>> the old computer started up, but the new 8400 comes on then goes right
>> off,
>> and I have to push the on button in again. Is there a way to set up the
>> new
>> computer so that it comes on when I push the Belkin switch?
>> Thanks for any help on this two problems.
>> david

I find that unlikely. Most BIOS have the option to set that power on a
power strip turns it on. My 4550 and 8100 did.

Tom
> No. The motherboard is designed to be powered at all times.
>
> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>> David:
>>

>>> Also I have a Belkin Power Authority II that I had my old computer and
>>> monitor hooked up to. When I turned on the Computer switch on the
>>> Belkin
>>> the old computer started up, but the new 8400 comes on then goes right
>>> off,
>>> and I have to push the on button in again. Is there a way to set up the
>>> new
>>> computer so that it comes on when I push the Belkin switch?
>>> Thanks for any help on this two problems.
>>> david

"david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in

> I just received theWindows Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft and wanted
> to know what I needed to do first before installing. I have read so
> many post, since I have been reading this newsgroup, about the bad
> experiences a lot of people have had since installing and wanted to
> avoid any problems if possible.
> Also I have a Belkin Power Authority II that I had my old computer and
> monitor hooked up to. When I turned on the Computer switch on the
> Belkin the old computer started up, but the new 8400 comes on then
> goes right off, and I have to push the on button in again. Is there a
> way to set up the new computer so that it comes on when I push the
> Belkin switch? Thanks for any help on this two problems.
> david

My SP2 installs were uneventful. MS states that many of the install
problems are because of spyware on the computers at the time of install,
so I'd suggest using AdAware and/or Spybot to find and remove any you may
have. If you are behind a router, you many want to disable your software
firewall, or go off line for the install - the Windows Firewall will be
enabled by default and that can apparently cause some major problems when
various other software firewalls are already running (I didn't know about
this, and had EZ Armor running - guess I was lucky).

--
Tom McCune

David

Thanks Tom for the quick reply. How can I find out if the BIOS on my 8400
has this option?
david

> I find that unlikely. Most BIOS have the option to set that power on a
> power strip turns it on. My 4550 and 8100 did.
>
> Tom
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > No. The motherboard is designed to be powered at all times.
> >
> > "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> >> David:

David

Thank you Mel for you quick and helpful response.
david

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> David:
>
> I guess it would be prudent to do a backup first.
>
> I upgraded with absolutely no problems although as I recall it took about
an
> hour, even with my fast cable modem.
>
> Mel
> "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >I just received theWindows Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft and wanted to
> > know what I needed to do first before installing. I have read so many
> > post,
> > since I have been reading this newsgroup, about the bad experiences a
lot
> > of
> > people have had since installing and wanted to avoid any problems if
> > possible.
> > Also I have a Belkin Power Authority II that I had my old computer and
> > monitor hooked up to. When I turned on the Computer switch on the
Belkin
> > the old computer started up, but the new 8400 comes on then goes right
> > off,
> > and I have to push the on button in again. Is there a way to set up the
> > new
> > computer so that it comes on when I push the Belkin switch?
> > Thanks for any help on this two problems.
> > david

David

Thank you WSZsr for you quick response.
david

> No. The motherboard is designed to be powered at all times.
>
> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> > David:
> >

> >> Also I have a Belkin Power Authority II that I had my old computer and
> >> monitor hooked up to. When I turned on the Computer switch on the
Belkin
> >> the old computer started up, but the new 8400 comes on then goes right
> >> off,
> >> and I have to push the on button in again. Is there a way to set up the
> >> new
> >> computer so that it comes on when I push the Belkin switch?
> >> Thanks for any help on this two problems.
> >> david

I can't find that option on my 8400. Where did you find it on yours? You
do have an 8400?

"Tom McCune" <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
> "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in
>
> > I just received theWindows Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft and wanted
> > to know what I needed to do first before installing. I have read so
> > many post, since I have been reading this newsgroup, about the bad
> > experiences a lot of people have had since installing and wanted to
> > avoid any problems if possible.
> > Also I have a Belkin Power Authority II that I had my old computer and
> > monitor hooked up to. When I turned on the Computer switch on the
> > Belkin the old computer started up, but the new 8400 comes on then
> > goes right off, and I have to push the on button in again. Is there a
> > way to set up the new computer so that it comes on when I push the
> > Belkin switch? Thanks for any help on this two problems.
> > david
>
> My SP2 installs were uneventful. MS states that many of the install
> problems are because of spyware on the computers at the time of install,
> so I'd suggest using AdAware and/or Spybot to find and remove any you may
> have. If you are behind a router, you many want to disable your software
> firewall, or go off line for the install - the Windows Firewall will be
> enabled by default and that can apparently cause some major problems when
> various other software firewalls are already running (I didn't know about
> this, and had EZ Armor running - guess I was lucky).
>
> --
> Tom McCune
> My PGP Page & FAQ: http://www.McCune.cc/PGP.htm

Thanks Tom for the useful information. I did use AdAware & Spybot and all
the spyware they found was Alexa Related & DSO Exploit which I looked up.
They are both Microsoft related so shouldn't do any harm I guess.
I am not using a router, so hopefully the install will go ok.
Thanks again.
david

David

Thanks John O for the useful information. I take it then I need to go into
the BIOS to change this setting? If so how do I go about doing this? I have
read
in the newsgroups to be careful when dealing with the BIOS as with the
registry.
david

"JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> I am not sure if you received a reply but that is a BIOS setting under
power
> management/AC recovery. I believe it has to be set to last state meaning
if
> the power goes off via a power bar then the system will power back up when
> power is returned (hence returned to the last state when power is
restored).

> Regards,
> John O.
>

> "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >I just received theWindows Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft and wanted to
> > know what I needed to do first before installing. I have read so many
> > post,
> > since I have been reading this newsgroup, about the bad experiences a
lot
> > of
> > people have had since installing and wanted to avoid any problems if
> > possible.
> > Also I have a Belkin Power Authority II that I had my old computer and
> > monitor hooked up to. When I turned on the Computer switch on the
Belkin
> > the old computer started up, but the new 8400 comes on then goes right
> > off,
> > and I have to push the on button in again. Is there a way to set up the
> > new
> > computer so that it comes on when I push the Belkin switch?
> > Thanks for any help on this two problems.
> > david

I do have an 8400 but it is a 1000 miles away right now.

To get into the BIOS, press F2 when you see the Dell Logo and loog for what
JJO mentioned.

Tom
> Thanks John O for the useful information. I take it then I need to go into
> the BIOS to change this setting? If so how do I go about doing this? I
> have
> read
> in the newsgroups to be careful when dealing with the BIOS as with the
> registry.
> david
>

> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>> I am not sure if you received a reply but that is a BIOS setting under
> power
>> management/AC recovery. I believe it has to be set to last state meaning
> if
>> the power goes off via a power bar then the system will power back up
>> when
>> power is returned (hence returned to the last state when power is
> restored).
>>
>> Regards,
>> John O.
>>

>> "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> >I just received theWindows Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft and wanted
>> > know what I needed to do first before installing. I have read so many
>> > post,
>> > since I have been reading this newsgroup, about the bad experiences a
> lot
>> > of
>> > people have had since installing and wanted to avoid any problems if
>> > possible.
>> > Also I have a Belkin Power Authority II that I had my old computer and
>> > monitor hooked up to. When I turned on the Computer switch on the
> Belkin
>> > the old computer started up, but the new 8400 comes on then goes right
>> > off,
>> > and I have to push the on button in again. Is there a way to set up the
>> > new
>> > computer so that it comes on when I push the Belkin switch?
>> > Thanks for any help on this two problems.
>> > david

How does that work for wake-on-lan or remote access?

>I find that unlikely. Most BIOS have the option to set that power on a
>power strip turns it on. My 4550 and 8100 did.
>
> Tom
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> No. The motherboard is designed to be powered at all times.

It doesn't.
> How does that work for wake-on-lan or remote access?

>>I find that unlikely. Most BIOS have the option to set that power on a
>>power strip turns it on. My 4550 and 8100 did.
>>
>> Tom
>> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> No. The motherboard is designed to be powered at all times.

Jim

david wrote:
> "Tom McCune" <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
>
>>"david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in
>>

>>>I just received theWindows Service Pack 2 CD from Microsoft and wanted
>>>to know what I needed to do first before installing. I have read so
>>>many post, since I have been reading this newsgroup, about the bad
>>>experiences a lot of people have had since installing and wanted to
>>>avoid any problems if possible.
>>>Also I have a Belkin Power Authority II that I had my old computer and
>>>monitor hooked up to. When I turned on the Computer switch on the
>>>Belkin the old computer started up, but the new 8400 comes on then
>>>goes right off, and I have to push the on button in again. Is there a
>>>way to set up the new computer so that it comes on when I push the
>>>Belkin switch? Thanks for any help on this two problems.
>>>david
>>
>>My SP2 installs were uneventful. MS states that many of the install
>>problems are because of spyware on the computers at the time of install,
>>so I'd suggest using AdAware and/or Spybot to find and remove any you may
>>have. If you are behind a router, you many want to disable your software
>>firewall, or go off line for the install - the Windows Firewall will be
>>enabled by default and that can apparently cause some major problems when
>>various other software firewalls are already running (I didn't know about
>>this, and had EZ Armor running - guess I was lucky).
>>
>>--
>>Tom McCune
>>My PGP Page & FAQ: http://www.McCune.cc/PGP.htm
>

> Thanks Tom for the useful information. I did use AdAware & Spybot and all
> the spyware they found was Alexa Related & DSO Exploit which I looked up.
> They are both Microsoft related so shouldn't do any harm I guess.
> I am not using a router, so hopefully the install will go ok.
> Thanks again.
> david

I understand that Spybot does not fix Alexa &DSO exploit, but if you
have Windows up-to-date with updates (except for SP2), you should be
good to go. I read that it is recommended to install SP2 while
off-line. I got a free copy on a CD at Circuit-City. (I am still
hesitant to install it on my computer).

Jim

Jim <nospam@anonymous.net> wrote:

>david wrote:

>> "Tom McCune" <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote

>>>My SP2 installs were uneventful. MS states that many of the install
>>>problems are because of spyware on the computers at the time of install,
>>>so I'd suggest using AdAware and/or Spybot to find and remove any you may
>>>have.

>> Thanks Tom for the useful information. I did use AdAware & Spybot and all
>> the spyware they found was Alexa Related & DSO Exploit which I looked up.
>> They are both Microsoft related so shouldn't do any harm I guess.

>I understand that Spybot does not fix Alexa &DSO exploit, but if you
>have Windows up-to-date with updates (except for SP2), you should be

AdAware did. Which is the reason I, and I suspect David and Tom
also, use both regularly for periodic adware/spyware checks. I
go even further, and every so often scan with some of the other
anti-adware/spyware programs available. It seems that each can
pick up/check things that the other doesn't.

>good to go. I read that it is recommended to install SP2 while
>off-line. I got a free copy on a CD at Circuit-City. (I am still
>hesitant to install it on my computer).

That may easy if you're going the CD route, it is a tad harder if
you're downloading your install. At any rate, I stayed connected
[cable internet], with both ZA and NAV active, when I did the
update. My versions of ZA and NAV were too old to talk to the
new "Windows Security Center", so SP2 went ahead and activated
the Windows Firewall, and the Security Center started scolding me
about not having AV protection. I quickly deactivated the
Windows Firewall, and told the Windows Security Center to mind
its own business, and that I'd rather do it myself. Now all the
Security Center has to do is to make sure that I have some sort
of Auto-update set. [Which I do, notification only.]

No problems whatsoever resulting from the SP2 install. D4400 and
an L733r, both doing plain-vanilla computing, nothing exotic like
games, photo-/movie-editing, or a passion for collecting and
playing with binaries downloads.
--
OJ III

David

"Jim" <nospam@anonymous.net> wrote in message
> david wrote:
>> "Tom McCune" <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
>>
>>>"david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in

>>>My SP2 installs were uneventful. MS states that many of the install
>>>problems are because of spyware on the computers at the time of install,
>>>so I'd suggest using AdAware and/or Spybot to find and remove any you may
>>>have. If you are behind a router, you many want to disable your software
>>>firewall, or go off line for the install - the Windows Firewall will be
>>>enabled by default and that can apparently cause some major problems when
>>>various other software firewalls are already running (I didn't know about
>>>this, and had EZ Armor running - guess I was lucky).
>>>
>>>--
>>>Tom McCune
>>>My PGP Page & FAQ: http://www.McCune.cc/PGP.htm
>>

>> Thanks Tom for the useful information. I did use AdAware & Spybot and
>> all
>> the spyware they found was Alexa Related & DSO Exploit which I looked up.
>> They are both Microsoft related so shouldn't do any harm I guess.
>> I am not using a router, so hopefully the install will go ok.
>> Thanks again.
>> david
>>

> I understand that Spybot does not fix Alexa &DSO exploit, but if you have
> Windows up-to-date with updates (except for SP2), you should be good to
> go. I read that it is recommended to install SP2 while off-line. I got a
> free copy on a CD at Circuit-City. (I am still hesitant to install it on
> my computer).
>
> Jim

I just installed SP2 from the CD I ordered from Microsoft's. The
installation
went OK. All I did was cancel all the running programs.
david

David

Tom I pressed F2 and it showed two items one was setup not sure what the
other was. They were at the top of the screen on the right side. The two
came on and off so fast I couldn't catch the items. Then the WindowsXP
screen came on. I tried this about three times. How do I get the items to
stay on the screen?
david

>I do have an 8400 but it is a 1000 miles away right now.
>
> To get into the BIOS, press F2 when you see the Dell Logo and loog for
> what JJO mentioned.
>
> Tom
> "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks John O for the useful information. I take it then I need to go
>> into
>> the BIOS to change this setting? If so how do I go about doing this? I
>> have
>> read
>> in the newsgroups to be careful when dealing with the BIOS as with the
>> registry.
>> david
>>

>> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>>> I am not sure if you received a reply but that is a BIOS setting under
>> power
>>> management/AC recovery. I believe it has to be set to last state meaning
>> if
>>> the power goes off via a power bar then the system will power back up
>>> when
>>> power is returned (hence returned to the last state when power is
>> restored).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John O.
>>>

>>> "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> lot
>> Belkin

I think you're waiting too long. As soon as you see the Dell logo, start
repeatedly pressing F2.

Tom
> Tom I pressed F2 and it showed two items one was setup not sure what the
> other was. They were at the top of the screen on the right side. The two
> came on and off so fast I couldn't catch the items. Then the WindowsXP
> screen came on. I tried this about three times. How do I get the items
> to stay on the screen?
> david

>>I do have an 8400 but it is a 1000 miles away right now.
>>
>> To get into the BIOS, press F2 when you see the Dell Logo and loog for
>> what JJO mentioned.
>>
>> Tom
>> "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks John O for the useful information. I take it then I need to go
>>> into
>>> the BIOS to change this setting? If so how do I go about doing this? I
>>> have
>>> read
>>> in the newsgroups to be careful when dealing with the BIOS as with the
>>> registry.
>>> david
>>>

>>> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>>> power
>>> if
>>> restored).

>>> lot
>>> Belkin

David

Tom do I have to turn the computer off or can I just restart it?
david

>I think you're waiting too long. As soon as you see the Dell logo, start
>repeatedly pressing F2.
>
> Tom
> "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Tom I pressed F2 and it showed two items one was setup not sure what the
>> other was. They were at the top of the screen on the right side. The
>> two came on and off so fast I couldn't catch the items. Then the
>> WindowsXP screen came on. I tried this about three times. How do I get
>> the items to stay on the screen?
>> david
>>

>> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
>>>I do have an 8400 but it is a 1000 miles away right now.
>>>
>>> To get into the BIOS, press F2 when you see the Dell Logo and loog for
>>> what JJO mentioned.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>> "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message

Anyone know whether a new DELL computer comes with Windows XP WITH SP2
installed?

I can tell you that my Inspiron 5160 that arrived earlier this week did in
fact come with SP2 in place.

--
Chris Lemon
clemon79@comcast.net

"David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know whether a new DELL computer comes with Windows XP WITH SP2
> installed?

Thanks for the info, the website says nada about this important issue.
I assume your XP installation disk is also upgraded with SP2
(no separate SP2 CD)..

"Chris Lemon" <clemon79@NOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
>I can tell you that my Inspiron 5160 that arrived earlier this week did in
>fact come with SP2 in place.
>
> --
> Chris Lemon
> clemon79@comcast.net
> http://fredsmythe.com
> EFNet: FredSmyth
>

> "David Frank" <dave_frank@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone know whether a new DELL computer comes with Windows XP WITH SP2
>> installed?

Resatart