Services.exe, svchost.exe infected?

soldierfacility

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
On July 23rd I visited a reputable website only to discover that the frontpage had been compromised with malware. As a result booting up Windows would result in a BSOD after a matter of minutes, usually with the error "PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA".

Booting up Windows in Safe Mode seemed to have no problems so I scanned the system with Malwarebytes and avast antivirus. Malwarebytes found a file labelled "8000000cb.@" recurring within C:\Windows\Installer\{4f7fb296-fc38-4015-d4eb-0e728329a8fd}\U\ - though Malwarebytes quarantined and deleted the file it was recreated in the folder moments later. avast turned out a number of different results that were subsequently quarantined and stored in The Chest, but upon rebooting Windows BSODs were still the order of the day.

On July 24th I right-clicked C:\ > Properties > Tools > Error-checking and scheduled a Check Disk operation (ticking 'Automatically fix file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'). Upon rebooting the system and completing the operation, Windows ran completely fine in normal mode. Unfortunately for some reason I elected to restart the computer to confirm the status of the operating system and it crashed once more.

On July 25th I ran a second Check Disk operation and this time ran avast proper in Windows (normal mode), where a quick scan removed a number of malware and requested a scan upon rebooting the system. This boot-time scan turned up a few false positives and upon logging into my account on Windows 7, the computer arbitrarily decided my 2009-bought Windows 7 was suddenly no longer a genuine build. This was fixed with judicious use of Command Prompt, and there has been no BSOD since then (though I should add I haven't rebooted the OS since then either).

This is where I stand - my computer appears to be running adequately as it was beforehand. Malwarebytes is unable to detect any malware, avast scans are unable to detect any further infected files and even SUPERAntiSpyware scans bring up no notice of infected targets. However I'm getting recurring warnings from avast itself about two of my system files, services.exe and svchost.exe - there's eleven svchost.exe instances running in Task Manager and apparently at least one of them is attempting to open malicious URLs, marking it a malware process; services.exe seems to be behind the 8000000cb.@ file. I'm not sure how to repair either file and I don't really want to reboot into Normal Mode again if I can help it, given that it might cause a relapse.

EDIT: After putting my computer in hibernation mode I've discovered that the BSOD has returned. Rebooting the system results in "PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA" despite opening avast, Malwarebytes etc. Apparently only another Check Disk operation will keep the virus at bay, but I shouldn't have to boot out of Safe Mode and wait 4 hours to have to use my computer.

tl;dr
■Windows 7 normal bootup results in a BSOD "PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA"
■Windows 7 Safe Mode with/out networking does not result in a BSOD
■Running a CheckDisk operation then booting into Windows 7 normal does not result in a BSOD
■avast identifies C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe and C:\Windows\System32\services.exe as processes generating malware on my system, but can't seem to identify them as threats during the actual scans and has no advice on either repairing those files or finding the actual malware masquerading as system files

nao1120

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
The svchost.exe process although appears to be virus like, is actually something that the system uses... Occasionally i'll see several running too when I'm wondering...Why is it running so slow!!!

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/

That explains it a bit.

When there is heavy malware and virus' on the system... I would try malware remover to try and get rid of it. Since you have windows 7, this is free and works good enough:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

Failing that...and the system is still acting up. Why waste time? Back up and reinstall the system. This was the cure for all issues back in the windows 98 to 2000 windows xp days. Windows 7 seems to last longer, but the rules still apply.

Sometimes its better to just have a clean slate

so it sounds like you have a rootkit, seems pretty natsy from what i found out about the file you post "8000000cb.@"

i would boot to safe mode with networking and down load these tools.

things you may to do
system file check is a utility in Microsoft Windows that allows users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files.

click start type cmd hit enter
type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes)

turn off system restore
sounds like this rootkit can restore its self and alot of times it hides its self in system restore (in restore points)
right click on my computer and select properties
select advanced system settings >click on configure > and check the box for turn off system protection
after your done with the virus removal you should turn it back on.
flush all java cache and if you have adobe 10 or higher clear that too
go to control panel and click on the icon for each and delete temporty internet files

a repair installation would be a good idea also if you have a windows disc

tdsskiller from kaspersky
http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

rootkit revealer (from sysinternals/microsoft)
http://download.sysinternals.com/files/RootkitRevealer.zip