Services not starting after update

jk

Hi all,

This is my first time posting in here, and I am not a
particularly nimble `administrator'. However, as an
independent contractor, I am all I have. NT 4, sp6a on an
older box that has not been in daily use for a while. Dell
Precision 410 workstation ; pIII , 750 mhz ; 512 mb ram.

I am now on the internet with this machine over a LAN with
a cable modem. Since it hadn't been in use for awhile, I
ran Windows Update to get any and all critical fixes. I
downloaded and installed a bunch of them and then re-
started.

Now every time I start NT, I get an error message saying
that at least one service failed to start. Upon looking at
the Event Viewer, I see that something called
ServiceControlMar is failing to start. Event #7026.

Another interesting thing is when I start OE (version
6,sp1) I get a DoctorWatson error. I just click OK, and it
doesn't crash me to the desktop- just goes away. This just
happens the first time I start it after starting NT.
Doesn't happen any other time.

Everyting else SEEMS to be working and it looks like the
worst thing that may happen is that I get to see this
behaivior every time I start up. I would rather not,
though.

Any ideas on how to make this go away?

TIA for any advice.

jk

jk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is my first time posting in here, and I am not a
> particularly nimble `administrator'. However, as an
> independent contractor, I am all I have. NT 4, sp6a on an
> older box that has not been in daily use for a while. Dell
> Precision 410 workstation ; pIII , 750 mhz ; 512 mb ram.
>
> I am now on the internet with this machine over a LAN with
> a cable modem. Since it hadn't been in use for awhile, I
> ran Windows Update to get any and all critical fixes. I
> downloaded and installed a bunch of them and then re-
> started.
>
> Now every time I start NT, I get an error message saying
> that at least one service failed to start. Upon looking at
> the Event Viewer, I see that something called
> ServiceControlMar is failing to start. Event #7026.
>
> Another interesting thing is when I start OE (version
> 6,sp1) I get a DoctorWatson error. I just click OK, and it
> doesn't crash me to the desktop- just goes away. This just
> happens the first time I start it after starting NT.
> Doesn't happen any other time.
>
> Everyting else SEEMS to be working and it looks like the
> worst thing that may happen is that I get to see this
> behaivior every time I start up. I would rather not,
> though.
>
> Any ideas on how to make this go away?
>
> TIA for any advice.
>
> jk