Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anyone know how I can host a multiplayer game (Rogue Spear) through my Router? Basically, I was able to do this before I got the router. Now that I have my LAN setup on the router nobody outside of the Router can "see" my IP. My router assignes the IPs to my PC's by DHCP. So I'm assuming somehow I have to configure my router to forward the port information. How do I go about this?

BTW: I've searched the internet for 4 hours looking for this answer...I'll take a link as well as info.

Thanks!

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got the RT314 also dude! Great router- I love it. I figured it out. Here's what I did:

1. Use your browser and type the IP for the router (default is 192.168.0.1) This will start up the configuration utility for the router.
2. Select ADVANCED
3. Select PORT
4. Type the port number for the application that you want to serve. For Roger Wilco its 3782. For R6 Urban Ops its the JOIN port: 2346.
5. Type the IP address of the HOST computer for the application.
6. At bottom of screen...select APPLY and your changes will take effect immediately.

That's it. You should be able to serve an application(i.e game) just like before you installed the router.

NOTE: Each time you reboot the host computer the IP is assigned by the Router. If you have multiple PC's this could change. You'll either have to assign Static IP's to your PC's OR make sure the host gets the right IP (i.e. boot it first on the network). I'm currently working on setting mine statically.

Let me know if you need more info.

FatBurger

Illustrious
You should preview. Then you can <A HREF="http://www.netgear.com/support_main.asp" target="_new">fix</A> mistakes easier.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here's the link for the reference manual. I printed the entire thing. Be warned, it's over 140 pages in length (you really don't need to print the whole thing)

<A HREF="http:// www.netgear.com/support_main.asp " target="_new">http:// www.netgear.com/support_main.asp </A>

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How did you know that I made a mistake? I was trying to learn how to markup the link.

How did you do that?

FatBurger

Illustrious
I read the message between you putting it up and then deleting it and putting up a new one.
A space of about 2 minutes, at most.
Yeah, I'm good :)

-----------------

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How the hell can you do that!? Are you like an adminstrator or something?

What else can you see...hmmm.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
All right seriously now. Do I need to improve my firewall settings or what? I mean really. YOu really got me rattled now. If I'm too vulnerable how do I fix it? (i.e. increase security)

Please fill me in FatBurger...I'm begging now (kneeling in front of computer now)

Thanks

FatBurger

Illustrious
But, I'm almost off, so I must say goodbye.

BTW, if you run into any good howto's for setting up security on a router, let me know. Seriously. There are a lot of people who've asked me about that.

-----------------

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Whew..ok so you just saw the post 1 min...then saw it change the next. Man I love this network setup but I'm worried about security. I'll do some more digging tonight and tomorrow and fill you in with a new post (if I learn anything).

I know that my router offers more advanced settings (filters) but I want to do some research before fiddling with them.

Thanks FatBurger. See ya' later.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I know what each setting does and what the proper security level would be for it, but there are too many to walk someone through (and not just do it, or look over their shoulder and explain it), so that's why I'm looking for a howto guide.

-----------------

TRENDING THREADS