set of PCs connected to 1 Gigabit network(internet) and 10 Gigabit network(NAS)

Rooslin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Need to know if this is possible before I sink X amount of $ into it

Looking at building a 10gb local area network with six of the computers in the office. Our main switch that feeds the whole office (about 14 computers total)

My plan was to build a NAS with m.2 drives for our storage and install 10gb NICs in the 6 computers. Connect them all to the NAS with a 10gb switch but also leave them connected to the 1GB switch (via their mobo NICs) for the internet.

I don't want to recable the whole office and get a new 10gb switch when we could just get an 8 port switch just for the room with the 6 computers. Reason why I've been thinking about this setup is because I don't want the 1gb switch bottle necking the 10gb NAS.

I'm going to add a picture of what I'm trying to achieve.

https://imgur.com/a/lR0oodr

USAFRet

Titan
Network performance depends on the slowest device in the chain.

If there is a 1GB switch in there, that would be it.

And m.2 drives filling the NAS? You'd need to analyze your read/write workload, but that's probably quite a bit of overkill.

Agree with USARet, unless your planning on running data hogging video or graphic files direct from the NAS, then m2 way overkill and cheaper enterprise grade SSD's will be more cost effective, again unless files are data hoggs, fitting 10G cards in each PC overkill, 2.5G maybe and have the NAS connected by 10G and all to a fully managed 10G switch , so internet traffic can be isolated.

Rooslin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010

We would have 6 people working off the NAS all at the same time doing CAD work, figured building a NAS with freenas and using m.2 drives would be the best for speeding it up when saving and loading large files.

This is the picture of the setup that I had in mind
https://imgur.com/a/lR0oodr

It would work. You would also want another 1g interface on the NAS so it can get internet for updates. each client that needs the subnet would need that second interface. clients can act as routers, only 1 interface can have a default gateway.

Interface 1G: DHCP
Interface 10G: 10.0.0.1 (any private ip not being used)

persistent static route for 10.0.0.0/24 on interface 10.0.0.1

option 2: same subnet. adding another interface can increase your bandwidth, but with 10G on there it might not be needed.
1gswitch->10G switch->clients and NAS (local traffic going to other clients on 10G switch stays on the switch)