Question Set PC to run camera and internet.

biggman100

Reputable
Dec 8, 2018
I have an older Emachines desktop with WIN7 on it that i would like to use as a in home camera viewer, but, i dont want to connect the camera to my router, mainly due to provider restrictions, but, also because i dont need an app or a way to view it remotely, and, i already have the PC set up to use 2 indoor webcams with it, so, what i would like to know is, if i get an outdoor camera, can i install a second ethernet card in the PC, and use that to connect to the camera without losing the internet connection on the PC? If so, how do i set it up so one card reads the camera, and one works for the internet? The internet side isnt as critical, since i only keep it online for updates, and to use as a backup in case something happens to my main PC, but, if possible, i would like it set up so i dont have to switch from the camera to the internet cable when i do need to hook it up online. A lesser question, could i use multiple ethernet cards, or possibly a dual port card, and connect more than one camera? None of the cameras would be recording, just set up so i can see if someone is outside.

It is actually pretty easy. Hardest part will be getting the second card installed, all depends on the open slots.

First you need to make sure the camera network and the internet network use different IP ranges. After that it is as simple as manually configuring the ethernet port that goes to camera network with a static ip. The key trick that makes this work is you need to leave the gateway ip and dns fields on this interface blank. So your computer now know about the 2 local networks and to send all the other traffic to the gateway on the other nic to get to the internet.

I would put all the cameras on a switch and connect that to the new ethernet card it will be a lot cheaper than fancy ethernet cards

biggman100

Reputable
Dec 8, 2018
I would put all the cameras on a switch and connect that to the new ethernet card it will be a lot cheaper than fancy ethernet cards
I have a box of NIC cards, and 3 open slots on the PC i use for that, so, i figured, if it would work, then i would only need the camera. This morning, i installed a dual card i had, and got it so the PC sees it, but, i havent done anything with the setting yet, because i wasnt sure what steps to actually take there. I am only looking to get one, maybe 2 outdoor cameras to connect to it, and use them and the 2 indoor cameras with ISpy, if it will work. I figured, my first step is figuring out how to actually connect them and get them to be recognized.

It is not rocket science, the hardest part will be configuring the camera...
  • Install second card, and set it up with static IP address, outside of the scope of the primary (router-controller) network. That is, if your router gives 192.168.0.XXX addresses, set second card to 192.168.10.1, netmask 255.255.255.0, NO default gateway, and whatever DNS it is offering;
  • connect your second camera to your primary router (for now), and make sure you can access it. THen, set its IP address to static, and configure it with 192.168.10.101, network mask 255.255.255.0, no gateway
  • Disconnect the camera from your router, and connect it with cable directly to the PC' second NIC. CHeck LEDs on both camera and PC - they should indicate camera is plugged in. Open Command prompt, make sure you can ping 192.168.10.101
  • ANd you're done!
If you have troubles - post results from "ipconfig /all" executed from Command prompt.