[SOLVED] Set Split Threshold for Svchost in Windows 10

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
I try to do it , but was not possible. I dont see anything , when i click on

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

i click on control , and i dont see any choice on the right . Why ?

Solution
minimizing background tasks will for sure effect the overall laptop performance. browsers actually use a ton of ram these days, especially if you have multiple tabs open and other programs as well.

win 10 is VERY full of bloat, not only installed but set to run at start-up. you don't need the vast majority of it to simply use the browser. all that phone, xbox, maps, telemetry and so on running only eats up valuable resources.

the first thing you can do is to disable a bunch of stuff on start-up. i use autoruns to see exactly what is set to start-up.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

turn off the obvious stuff you don't use and be careful of services for now until you know what you are doing. but...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm not sure what this is trying to accomplish. doing this merges some of the svchost processes but does not appear to change the amount of ram used. so instead of 20 of them using 100 mb each, you get 5 of them using 400 mb each. other than the look of the process list, i don't see that this actually does anything.

but even if you don't have the stuff under the control tab the guide shows, you are creating a new key anyway. so continue to follow the guide from step 3 on.

do note though that i have no clue what will happen, it may cause problems so be sure to back-up important data, create restore point and anything you can in case something goes wrong!!

or download the tweaker they link to and use it to change the setting. probably safer to go that route.

Reactions: manolis kokotsakis

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
If this is the profit, i dont think is worth doing anything. I was trying minimize the size of ram used and also processor work for my laptop. But possible this is how windows work.
I know that internet browsing speed , have to do with how fast is my internet, but i want ask you, do you think that, do you think that minimize the services that run on my pc, so the cpu and ram have less work to do, this will efect my browsing experience ?
My work based on browsing speed and how sbappy an fast it is .

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
minimizing background tasks will for sure effect the overall laptop performance. browsers actually use a ton of ram these days, especially if you have multiple tabs open and other programs as well.

win 10 is VERY full of bloat, not only installed but set to run at start-up. you don't need the vast majority of it to simply use the browser. all that phone, xbox, maps, telemetry and so on running only eats up valuable resources.

the first thing you can do is to disable a bunch of stuff on start-up. i use autoruns to see exactly what is set to start-up.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

turn off the obvious stuff you don't use and be careful of services for now until you know what you are doing. but all that office stuff, email, xbox and so on crap can be disabled with no problem. keep in mind disabling start-up does not mean it will never run, just that it won't run right away and will wait until needed (if it is needed). so feel free to disable some stuff you do use but not often. damn near everything has some service or other that runs at start-up for no reason. for instance all those auto-update checks. get rid of those :)

then if you really want to tweak some more, take a look at this site

he's done the leg work already and suggests a good bit of services that can be disabled. understand what is being suggested by reading the info first, but a good laptop configuration will save a lot of resources for you to actually use for your work and not wasted on background bloat.

Reactions: manolis kokotsakis
Solution

manolis kokotsakis

Honorable
Mar 9, 2019
I remove some services, and run the <autoruns > , huge breath for my laptop. Thanks a lot sir.
Really big difference.
One and lust question sir,
My work , as i said , based on fast and snappy internet . I have Thinkpad T440s, with 12gb ram, i7 and intell ssd. I will upgrade the ssd with a newer and faster Samsung evo 860.
This hardware i have , is doing the job well , or you believe i have to buy a newer pc, ( i am thinking i3 10100) with 16 ram and nvme) ?
Will i notice any great difference, for an office-browsing pc ? do you think is worth it ?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not really, browsing is mostly done in ram so faster ssd and cpu does not do a whole lot. what are you doing that you need fast browsing? accessing a database or other such work?

also note that with win 10, everytime it updates it puts everything back the way it was before you changed it. so you'll be going back again and again to keep that stuff turned off. you can save the config you made and rerun it to make it faster. mostly it will work fine but when they move stuff around it will move a key or change the name of a service or whatever else they do to screw with everyone.