Question Set Time Automatically - Revert's on it's own

Oct 18, 2022
Capture.png

I manually switched "set time automatically" to ON, after a reboot this setting reverts back to OFF. Why is this happening?
I did use this code to change the windows timeserver:

w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist:"0.pool.ntp.org 1.pool.ntp.org 2.pool.ntp.org 3.pool.ntp.org"
SC queryex "w32time"|Find "STATE"|Find /v "RUNNING">Nul||(
net stop w32time
)
net start w32time
w32tm /config /update
w32tm /resync

After executing this code i ran into an issue where windows was unable to synchronize the clock.
As of now i manually changed the timeserver back to time.windows.com in windows settings, now the synchronisation works again. I'm still wondering why pool.ntp.org didn't work as expected.
Looking at the windows time settings right now, it says that the windows time service is not running and therefore synchronisation will not work.
The service is set to manual startmode, should it be on automatic? Is it on automatic in other system like from people reading this now?
Anyway, so far not a massive issue, but... the problem is i'm using a vpn, to be precise, ProtonVPN.
This VPN offers three different connection protocols, TCP, UDP, and WireGuard.
While TCP and UDP are working correctly, when i try using WireGuard the VPN is stuck with status "connecting to server".
I am not 100% sure but the guess is this is caused because something is wrong with the time/clock/synchronisation on my system.

I remember seeing an error before where ProtonVPN said "your system time is out of synchronisation this can cause issues with VPN connections".
They have a little guide to fix this issue https://protonvpn.com/support/update-windows-clock/ but this did not help in my case.
Would anyone be able provide assistance finding a solution towards using the WireGuard protocol and restoring time synchronisation functionality?

Proton-VPN-Wire-Guard-Stuc.png

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Firstly, I’d suggest that you not run commands if you don’t understand what it’s about to do. It sounds like the service you mentioned should be set to Automatic. Try changing that service, rebooting, and see if it works.

Did the “Set time automatically” switch start to reset after reboots before you ran the commands or afterwards?

Have you attempted to reach out to your VPN provider for a solution? They are the experts on their own products.

Oct 18, 2022
Firstly, I’d suggest that you not run commands if you don’t understand what it’s about to do. It sounds like the service you mentioned should be set to Automatic. Try changing that service, rebooting, and see if it works.

Did the “Set time automatically” switch start to reset after reboots before you ran the commands or afterwards?

Have you attempted to reach out to your VPN provider for a solution? They are the experts on their own products.

Phah, obviously i knew i was going to change the timezone, the commands are self explaining.
After running commands. Never tried before that.
This is more of a windows issue rather then a vpn issue. VPNs wont work if the systemtime isnt correct, which it is, but in some way isnt.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Phah, obviously i knew i was going to change the timezone, the commands are self explaining.
After running commands. Never tried before that.
This is more of a windows issue rather then a vpn issue. VPNs wont work if the systemtime isnt correct, which it is, but in some way isnt.
If the system time is correct (which it sounds like it is to me), then it should be a VPN issue. Have you tried reinstalling the VPN software? I would definitely recommend contacting the support team for the VPN provider.