[SOLVED] Set up a port forward for a server but the port remains closed.

Apr 3, 2020
Hi there! Like above I've been trying to help a friend set up a minecraft server but unfortunately I just can't seem to get the port forwarding part. I've logged into the router, found the port forwarding settings, and added an option but no dice.

I give them the external, not internal, ip when they connect. I use the correct Ipv4 address when creating the port. I use the correct port number when setting everything up and I've double checked it all when getting things set up.

In addition to that, I tried some of the other troubleshooting steps I've found here such as disabling firewall and creating exception rules for the specific port. I even decided to check if my ISP blocked the specific port for some reason but luckily the don't.

I'm sort of at my wit's end here so if anyone has advice that would be great!

Edit: I also ensured the server was running when using the port tester if that helps.

Solution
You could try the DMZ option instead. It is just to test because it is a risk to run long term but it tends to easier to setup than port forwarding for many people.

We have seen a lot of this question lately. Do you know if you actually have a public IP. You can look that definition up but a simpler way tends to be to see if the IP you see in your router that is assigned to the wan port is the same as the sites like whatsmyip. If these IP are not the same you likely have a private IP address and port forwarding will never work.
You could try the DMZ option instead. It is just to test because it is a risk to run long term but it tends to easier to setup than port forwarding for many people.

We have seen a lot of this question lately. Do you know if you actually have a public IP. You can look that definition up but a simpler way tends to be to see if the IP you see in your router that is assigned to the wan port is the same as the sites like whatsmyip. If these IP are not the same you likely have a private IP address and port forwarding will never work.

Solution
Apr 3, 2020

Hmmm that could be the issue. I have a vague idea but what's the best way to accurately check that, (whether or not I have a public ip or not).

Edit: So I did some digging and according to the router configuration the IP set to the WAN port is the same as the IPV4, indicating a private IP. Is there a safe, long-term workaround here or am I kind of dead when it comes to setting up a server.

If the IP are the SAME in the router and in the whatsmyip then you have a public IP and you should be able to get port forwarding to work.

Although it tends to take some learning to use you could try wireshark. It will capture all the data. What you need to see is if you get a packet from the internet in the first place, then does your pc respond. This should tell you if it is the router or the pc,