Set-up A Wireless AP With No Cabling

RonPaul

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
Is it possible to setup a wireless AP to connect to my primary router through the wireless signal? Essentially connect cable modem to router1 then wirelessly connect router2 to router1 so router2 can extend the wireless signal?

Unfortunately running cabling (at least in the foreseeable future) just is not an option. I have tried 3 different brands of powerline ethernet adapters and none of them work. So I must assume the destination outlet is on a different "breaker line" (for lack of technology terminology).

If I need to flash a DDWRT or Tomato to my secondary router, I am totally comfortable doing such, the secondary router is a Belkin N F5D8236-4. Now what steps would I need to take to wirelessly connect this router to my primary router in order to extend wireless signal?

Solution
Your Belkin device is not supported by dd-wrt or Tomato AFAIK.

While possible it generally doesn't work very well, as the remote device must be located where the signal is still strong.

The "best" wireless bridge is accomplished with a pair of AC routers with one as the main router and the second in media bridge mode. Best to use the same brand. I've done a number of these with ASUS AC routers.

RealBeast

Titan
Your Belkin device is not supported by dd-wrt or Tomato AFAIK.

While possible it generally doesn't work very well, as the remote device must be located where the signal is still strong.

The "best" wireless bridge is accomplished with a pair of AC routers with one as the main router and the second in media bridge mode. Best to use the same brand. I've done a number of these with ASUS AC routers.

Solution