Seting up A 2nd router behind an AT&T 2Wire UVerse Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarRamRod10

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
Has anyone accomplished this feat. I have spent hours trying to setup a netgear wireless behind a 2WIRE, the ones used by ATT's fiber service and can't get it done. Any help would be appreciated. To clarify I do this for a living so feel free to talk to me like a colleauge, and not a 6 year old. Thanks in advance.

tazkwondo

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I don't know if anyone still needs a little information on this. If you connect the 2nd router to a computer on the network and open a browser, a Uverse message pops up to tell you its detected a router behind a router. The suggested fix is either click on Resolve... OR... change the 2nd router to DMZ mode as BOTH routers can't serve the users effectively.

public101

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
I was able to get my Tomato/DD-WRT router to work behind the 2Wire Uverse router without having to change my original home network. Here are the directions:

http://www.jaynath.com/2011/01/setting-up-tomato-router-behind-an-att-2wire-u-verse-router/

BorisTC

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Set it up on a different subnet. That way it will still detect it, but it will allow it to run. I didn't want to use the wireless that came with the AT&T device either, so I configured it with a 192.168.2.1 setup.

G

I did this the easiest way: :bounce:
I bought a linksys 2500. I update the firmware to that latest. Shut off the two wire wireless broadcast. Setup the linksys manually leaving all default the same but setup the new "n' speed wifi network. DO NOT CONNECT THE 2 wire to the Linkys WAN port. Connect to any of the Linksys ethernet ports. This automatically IN NEW MODELS with new firmware forced the Linksys into ACCESS Point mode. All ip addressing will be done by the 2wire. THIS IS THE EASIEST WAY TO DO THIS!!

You will notice that the Linksys assigns itself AUTOMATICALLY the loopback IP of 127.0.01 and fills in the 2wire ip of the Router #.

You can still use the 192.168.1.254 to get into the 2WIRE modem
And the 192.168.1.1 to get into the Linksys!!! Brilliantly easy!

I think firmware updates have allowed this auto access point mode (which old directions don't talk about but the firmware is now is date 5-5-11 IF YOU had put the a ethernet from the 2 wire to the WAN port of the Linsys--NOTHING happens (won't work) It assumes than you want to do a router behind a router setup and wait for you to make changes. SO just plug an ethernet cable from one ethernet port on the 2wire to an ETHERNET port on the Linksys (but again don't use the Linksys wan port).

Below are the older way to do it if you have trouble---but I didn't use the way below---

If you DO want to run a cable, and don't want to deal with WDS, or
your mystery Linksys router is not a WRT54G, then you can setup the
2nd router as an access point by:
1. Change the IP address of the 2nd router to 192.168.1.2. The idea
is to not duplicate the IP address of the first router.
2. Optionally set the SSID and encryption keys to the same on both
routers.
3. Ignore the WAN port. The WAN port is not used.
4. Turn OFF the DHCP server on the 2nd router.
5. Connect a cable between one LAN port on the first router, to a LAN
port on the 2nd router. You may need a crossover cable. Make sure
the front panel light are correct for the ports when you plug in the
cable.

EMINENT

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
I did this the easiest way: :bounce:
I bought a linksys 2500. I update the firmware to that latest. Shut off the two wire wireless broadcast. Setup the linksys manually leaving all default the same but setup the new "n' speed wifi network. DO NOT CONNECT THE 2 wire to the Linkys WAN port. Connect to any of the Linksys ethernet ports. This automatically IN NEW MODELS with new firmware forced the Linksys into ACCESS Point mode. All ip addressing will be done by the 2wire. THIS IS THE EASIEST WAY TO DO THIS!!

You will notice that the Linksys assigns itself AUTOMATICALLY the loopback IP of 127.0.01 and fills in the 2wire ip of the Router #.

You can still use the 192.168.1.254 to get into the 2WIRE modem
And the 192.168.1.1 to get into the Linksys!!! Brilliantly easy!

I think firmware updates have allowed this auto access point mode (which old directions don't talk about but the firmware is now is date 5-5-11 IF YOU had put the a ethernet from the 2 wire to the WAN port of the Linsys--NOTHING happens (won't work) It assumes than you want to do a router behind a router setup and wait for you to make changes. SO just plug an ethernet cable from one ethernet port on the 2wire to an ETHERNET port on the Linksys (but again don't use the Linksys wan port).

Below are the older way to do it if you have trouble---but I didn't use the way below---

If you DO want to run a cable, and don't want to deal with WDS, or
your mystery Linksys router is not a WRT54G, then you can setup the
2nd router as an access point by:
1. Change the IP address of the 2nd router to 192.168.1.2. The idea
is to not duplicate the IP address of the first router.
2. Optionally set the SSID and encryption keys to the same on both
routers.
3. Ignore the WAN port. The WAN port is not used.
4. Turn OFF the DHCP server on the 2nd router.
5. Connect a cable between one LAN port on the first router, to a LAN
port on the 2nd router. You may need a crossover cable. Make sure
the front panel light are correct for the ports when you plug in the
cable.

Hi, i'm trying to understand if I can buy and set up an n router from my 2wire b/g to get more speed for streaming, if it's worth it.

Will this method work for any n router out there? I have the 2wire Motorola residential gateway.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

You've reopened a very old thread and might get more help if you started a new one. For my money, having wireless N in the internals of a network won't increase streaming speeds. If your ISP isn't shipping you enough speed, change to a better one or try the N router at the point of entry - or straight from the MODEM if you use cable - and bin the 2Wire.

G

At AT&T you either have a 2Wire Gateway/router or a motorola--they are two different companies. I did the above on a 2wire Gateway. Motorola's from AT&T might react slightly different but you can work around any problems.

I can't promise just connecting to the Ethernet port will work on ANY router. But if you want to setup router behind a router--it's just a couple more steps.

Leave the first router the way it is.
Turn on DHCP on the second router
Connect the First router from its ethernet port to the second router's wan port
Switch the second router IP address to 10.10.10.1 (instead of 192.168.1.1. etc). We are going to use a different pool of IP addresses on the second router (assuming you left the first router in the standard 192.168.X.X- The two routers must pull from different IP pools in router behind router)
YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOU SETUP THE DNS ON THE SECOND ROUTER TO POINT TO THE FIRST ROUTER! The first router is your Gateway to the internet so it's IP address must be placed as Dns on the second router.

As far as speed? Latency sometime takes a hit because you are doing two NAT translations.

Sometimes it best for speed to just turn the FIRST DSL routers routing off (bridge mode)--makes it pretty much a dumb modem. You then have the second router do ALL router, DHCP and firewall functions. Most cable modems are just dumb modems and you MUST connect a router to it for firewall and DHCP.

Call your DSL provider to show you how to make your DSL router 2wire or Motorola into a Bridge. I'm not sure if the moto's even do 'bridge' at AT&T (the 2wire can but call ATT tech support). Give them a call.

Plan9FOS

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Cascading Routers, Connecting 2Wire Gateway to LinkSys Wireless Routers

In general, you want to look for articles about Cascading Routers.

There is a nice article from Cisco/LinkSys called "Cascading (Connecting) a Linksys router to another router" about the two ways to cascade two routers, LAN-to-LAN and LAN-to-WAN.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=785463d9ecaf4cac84aed245b08d615f_3733.xml&pid=80&respid=0&snid=1&dispid=0&cpage=search

Here's a summary:

Cascading (Connecting) a Linksys router to another router

There are two ways to cascade a Linksys router to another Linksys router:

1. LAN to LAN – Connecting one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of the second Linksys router to one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of the main Linksys router.

This connection makes the computers connected to both routers to be on the same LAN IP segment. This will allow sharing of resources within the network. For instructions, click here.

2. LAN to WAN – Connecting one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of the main Linksys router to the Internet port (WAN port) of the second Linksys router.

This connection makes it easier to identify which router the computers are connected to since they will have different LAN IP segments. For instructions, click here.

NOTE: If you have a modem/router from your Internet Service Provider (ISP), you can still do cascading of routers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And two more good articles:

http://www.corenetworkz.com/2009/05/how-to-connect-three-routers-in-your.html

How to connect three routers in your network - Three Router cascading

To connect three routers in a network with full routing features we need to change the third octet IP address of the routers ( In this IP address 192.168.1.5 the third octet is 1 ). Many guys telling like it is difficult to connect multiple routers in a network. But following the guide below it will be a fun. To perform this follow the steps provided below.
We need to change the class C IP address of the router 2 to a different number. In the Image the router 2 IP address is 192.168.2.1.
The IP address of the router 3 is : 192.168.3.1
The points in connecting three routers are:
1. Connect the WAN Port of router 2 to the one of the LAN port of the router 1 using an Ethernet cable.
2. Connect the WAN Port of router 3 to the one of the LAN port of the router 2 using an Ethernet cable.
The diagram of connection will be like this:
Router 1(LAN port)----(WAN Port)Router 2(LAN Port)-------(WAN Port)Router 3

http://www.corenetworkz.com/2008/02/router-to-router-cascading-simple-guide.html

Router to router cascading a simple guide

There are two ways to cascade a router to another router:
1. Connecting one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of the second Router to one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of the main router.
2. Connecting the Internet port (WAN port) of the second Router to one of the Ethernet ports (LAN ports) of the main router.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used #2, the LAN-to-WAN connection.
I have a network set up with a 2Wire 1800HG Gateway and a LinkSys WRT350N Wireless Router.
This is set up as two network addresses, 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0 (two Class C networks).
(See: http://www.ralphb.net/IPSubnet/ for IP Address Subnetting Tutorial).
Network address 192.168.1.0 is assigned to the 1800HG and 192.168.2.0 is assigned to the WRT350N.

Computers on both networks can access the internet through the 1800HG Gateway.
Both of the wireless networks are active and use different SSIDs. The 1800HG is the high power/long range 400mW wireless and the WRT350N is the lower power/shorter range wireless.
The DSL is from AT&T.

I connect one LAN port of the 1800HG to the WAN port of the WRT350N.
I don't have any other wired connections to the 1800HG.
All wired computers are connected to the WRT350N Gigabit LAN ports either directly or through Gigabit switches.

I can access both the 2Wire 1800HG Gateway and the LinkSys WRT350N Wireless Router easily from any computer on the 192.168.2.0 network.
Computers on the 192.168.2.0 network can see other computers on the 192.168.2.0 and 192.168.1.0 networks (they can see "out").
Computers on the 192.168.1.0 network can only see other computers on the 192.168.1.0 network (they can't see "in").
So, the 192.168.2.0 network is the more secure.

I have the wireless on the 1800HG set for SSID #1 and the default WEP 64-bit for ease of access for guests, and the wireless on the WRT350N is SSID #2 and will be set to WPA PSK2 Personal when I finally get rid of the last WEP device.:)
So, the WRT350N wireless on 192.168.2.0 will be more secure as well.

Here are the settings of the Gateway and Router.

====================================================

The 2Wire 1800HG is used with its default IP of 192.168.1.254 and creates the first network.
This .1.x net is used to get a high power/long range wireless network with SSID #1 by taking advantage of the 1800HG's 400mW power. I leave this with the default WEP 64-bit security so I can use the label on the gateway to provide a key to guests easily (10 digit number in square brackets).
I connect one LAN port of the 1800HG to the WAN port of the WRT350N.
I don't have any other wired connections to the 1800HG.

You get to the hard core 2Wire 1800HG/2701HG Gateway configuration pages by using this URL: http://192.168.1.254/mdc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2Wire 1800HG Settings

Broadband Link
Configure
DSL and ATM Settings
DSL Line Selection: Automatic
ATM Circuit Identifier: VPI: 0 VCI: 35
ATM Encapsulation: Bridged LLC
ATM PVC Search: Enabled
Internet Connection Settings
Connection Type: PPPoE
PPP on Demand: 0
Use the built-in hardware address.
Obtain Internet address automatically
Obtain DNS information automatically

Local Network
Wireless
Settings
Network Name: SSID #1 (Use the 1st name you want)
Wireless Channel: 4 (2.427MHz)
Enable SSID Broadcast: checked
Wireless Security
Enabled
Authentication: WEP-Open
Use default encryption key
Additional Settings
All default, except Power
Power Setting: 9

Configure
Private Network
Configure Manually
Router Address: 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Enable DHCP
First DHCP Address: 192.168.1.64
Last DHCP Address: 192.168.1.149
Set DHCP Lease Time: 24 hours
Public Network
unchecked
Bridge Network
unchecked

Firewall
Settings
Select a computer that will host applications through the firewall: WRT350N WAN 192.168.1.253
Maximum Protection
Advanced Settings
No NetBIOS (unchecked)
No Remote Management (unchecked)

Advanced
Configure Services
Routing
Enable Routing: checked
NAT = both defaults
Force Upstream MTU: 1492
Static Routes
none defined (none added)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LinkSys WRT350N settings

The WRT350N WAN port is set to an IP of 192.168.1.253.

Internet Setup
Internet Connection Type
Static IP (Default was Automatic Configuration - DHCP)
Internet IP Address: 192.168.1.253
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
DNS 1: 68.94.156.1 ATT DNS #1
DNS 2: 68.94.157.1 ATT DNS #2
DNS 3: 206.13.29.12 SBC DNS #3
Host Name:
Domain Name:
MTU: Auto Size: 1500

The WRT350N network address is set to 192.168.2.1.

Network Setup
Router IP
IP Address: 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server Setting
DHCP Server: Enabled
DHCP Reservation
Starting IP Address: 192.168.2.64
Maximum Number of Users: 86
IP Address Range: 192.168.2.64 ~ 149
Client Lease Time: 0
Static DNS 1: 68.94.156.1 ATT DNS #1
Static DNS 2: 68.94.157.1 ATT DNS #2
Static DNS 3: 206.13.29.12 SBC DNS #3
WINS: 0.0.0.0

Basic Wireless Settings
Network Mode: Mixed
Network Name (SSID): SSID #2 (Use the 2nd name you want)
Radio Band, Wide Channel, and Standard Channel = Auto
SSID Broadcast: Enabled

Wireless Security
Security Mode: WEP
Encryption: 128-bit
(I'm stuck with WEP because of a few older wireless devices).
This gives a lower power/shorter range, slightly more secure 2nd wireless network with SSID #2.

Security
Firewall
SPI Firewall Protection: Enabled

VPN Passthrough
All Enabled

Administration
Management
Remote Access
Remote Management: Disabled

(Remote Management is disabled for both the 1800HG and the WRT350N).

This also worked on an older LinkSys wireless router, the BEFSR41.

I very recently changed from the 2Wire 1800HG Gateway to the AT&T version of the Netgear 7550 VersaLink ADSL2+ Gateway.
I still use the LinkSys WRT350N Wireless Router for the second router. The 7550 was initially configured online through the AT&T site by itself (no WRT350N). All settings of the 7550 were the default at this point. It worked immediately without changing any settings when the two were connected back to my original LAN-to-WAN connection. The 7550 LAN port goes to the WAN port of the WRT350N.
I then manually configured the 7550 for a DHCP range of 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.149 which is my usual setting and I changed the SSID to my desired name. Everything still worked and is running this way.

Paul Bohannon

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

I didn't get the Uverse message or the suggested fixes. However, I stumbled into success.

First, I changed the router from bridge mode to nat
then, using Airport 5.56 (yes, I use also 6.1 airport utility -- they each do something a bit different from the other....), I checked "allow setup over the WAN"

Under wireless tab, I said to establish a new network and named it.

Access control tab: not enabled.

Using airport utility 6.1, I edited the airport extreme settings. (Allow setup over WAN), I verified the router address which points to the Uverse router, and noted the IPv4 address and subnet mask

Under the network tab, I opted for DHCP & NAT in the pull down at the top.

Then I updated.

Then, in diagnostics (apple extreme), I went to network. I told it to use ethernet connection rather than wireless.

Now, maybe that is not all I did, I got lucky and may not remember all of my confused plodding.

In summary,

1. I hooked the Airport Extreme to my host computer on the Uverse network, using CAT5, plugging from the WAN on the computer and inputting to the Extreme in the LAN (singular) plug. Think I got those descriptions right.

2. Told ATT Uverse (using 192.168.1.254, Broadband tab, Link Configuration, checked Add Additional Network, entered the ATT Uverse Router address 192.168.1.254 and the subnet mask 255.255.0.0, click SAVE) to recognize router behind router.

3. Told airport extreme to use DHCP and NAT, and to allow setup over WAN

4. Told airport extreme to user ethernet connection. And worked that using routine network settings, using the network I created.

Confused? I still am, but it works.

pb

Bao Shuming

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

Here is the easy solution:
Switch the router IP address of your router to 10.10.10.1 (instead of 192.168.1.1. etc). I just got it works. Since the ATT modem/router is using 192.168.1.*, there might be a conflict with your router. I called ATT, they want to charge $49 for tecjnical service. The ATT web site is not helpful.

Bao Shuming

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

Switch the router IP address of your router to 10.10.10.1 (instead of 192.168.1.1. etc). I just got it works. Since the ATT modem/router is using 192.168.1.*, there might be a conflict with your router. I called ATT, they want to charge $49 for tecjnical service. The ATT web site is not helpful.

Bao Shuming

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

Bao Shuming

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

UVTECH

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
Go to address 192.168.1.254 which will enter you into the AT&T modems admin, on the home page find the device(your 3rd party router) under 'home network devices' and click on the blue link on the right labeled 'device details' , once there clicked on the link labeled 'IP address allocation' , which takes you to a page with the header 'Public-Private NAT Mappings and Device IP Allocation' find your device in one of the boxes below and simply choose to disable the firewall for that particular device, then hit save at the bottom, it will ask for a password which is the 'SYSTEM PASSWORD' found on a label on your AT&T Mode. BUT if you have the bonded pair or "INID" the system password is found on your battery back up or power supply. After disabling the firewall in the modem for you 3rd party router it will be able allow Internet traffic through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.