[SOLVED] Setting 144hz monitor to 60hz doesn't look smooth as a normal 60hz monitor

Oct 28, 2018
So I recently got a 144hz monitor (Pixio277h), the added fluidity is very striking.

However, I record a lot of gameplay as a hobby, so there are times I'd like to set the monitor to 60 or 120hz in order to avoid dropping frames in my recordings (Since 144 is not divisible by 60.) This is where the problem comes in.

For some reason, motion fluidity is absolutely abysmal at these settings, most noticable with any kind of panning of the camera. IIt actually gives me a headache to look at for too long.

I still have my old monitor which I've been using as a secondary, and even though it and the new monitor are *both* running at 60hz/fps, the new monitor has a very obvious judder, or strobing, and does not look as smooth. A strobing that is *not* reflected in the video recordings.
(In fact, videos, even on the new monitor videos look smoother than the actual gameplay.)

I've tried just about everything I could think of to "fix" this problem without success, so I'm mostly just curious why it's like this?
Why would this new monitor not display 60hz as fluidly as my old monitor?

Solution

In that case, I'd imagine that your only real option is to lock your framerate in-game to 60 and...

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
Have you tried setting it to a number 144 is divisible by, like 72 or 48?

UPDATE: It looks like that panel has Freesync. If you have an AMD card, then you shouldn't have to even lower the monitor's refresh rate.

Oct 28, 2018

I have an Nvidia card, so freesync is a no-go.

At 72 yes, the gameplay is still fluid, but the recording will have stutter because of dropped frames. (I've tried just recording 72fps and downsampling to 60 when rendering, but the improvement is only slight.)

I'm not sure about 48, because I figure people on 60hz screens would basically have the same problem I'm having from the fps and framerate not being divisible.

2sidedpolygon

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018

In that case, I'd imagine that your only real option is to lock your framerate in-game to 60 and just deal with screen tearing. There's really not much to be done about it.

Solution