Question Setting a certain resolution on a second monitor

Apr 24, 2023
I am attempting to connect a second monitor to my laptop in order to extend the display. This second monitor has a resolution of 1920x1080. However, I am unable to select this resolution in the Display Menu.

HKyGnZm.png

It is worth noting that the laptop's built-in monitor also has a resolution of 1920x1080. I have tried numerous options, including updating the graphics card drivers, uninstalling the drivers, updating Windows 11, and exploring various other settings.

6Apud92.png

What steps can I take to resolve this issue?

Last edited:
I can't seem to find anything regarding any limitations on the monitor or the laptop itself, and VGA is capable of going up to 2048x1536 @ 85Hz.

You may need to create a custom resolution in the GPU's control panel. If it's using Intel's Graphics Command Center, it'll be in Display -> General settings -> Resolution, there's a "+" button. For anything else, I'm not sure since I'm not familiar with Intel's other graphics control panel software.

If that doesn't work, you may want to consider another VGA cable. Or another computer with a VGA output.

While that has a Radeon HD 8850M, that graphics adapter doesn't actually have any outputs so relies on the Haswell Intel HD Graphics 4400 IGP to draw the screen. Therefore any resolution limits are imposed by the Intel IGP. FWIW it claims
  • Max Resolution (HDMI) 3840x2160@24Hz
  • Max Resolution (DP) 3840x2160@60Hz
  • Max Resolution (eDP - Integrated Flat Panel) 3840x2160@60Hz
  • Max Resolution (VGA) 1920x1200@60Hz
and sometimes you can set resolutions not listed in the normal places, in the Intel software. Does it actually work properly when the main display is toggled to disabled using the Fn + F1 keyboard shortcut? If so then there may be some limitation when using both analog and digital displays, despite two 1920x1080 having the same number of pixels as 3840x2160

Apr 24, 2023
I wasn't able to try out the suggestions mentioned in the previous posts, and I had made up my mind to attempt them when I suddenly noticed that the second monitor has now adjusted its resolution to 1920x1080, as you can see here: This is quite strange, and I believe it has happened before.

WTf0mnH.png

Therefore, I would rather not try anything else at the moment, but if you have any suggestions as to why this might be happening, I would appreciate it. Thank you!

TRENDING THREADS