[SOLVED] Setting a Hard drive password without admin rights or knowing BIOS password

addixkmac

Reputable
Jan 12, 2019
Hi,

Is it possible to set a hard drive password without knowing the BIOS password or having Admin rights on a computer?

The computer is a Lenovo 11e and it had a hard drive password on it after POST screen displayed. Multiple users use this laptop and none of them had administrator rights. how can this be possible?

Fixed- On 11e bios, if you dont have the password you can hit "enter" it will allow you to view all the bios settings but they are grayed out except "Hard Disk1 Password" is able to be enabled. After enabling, a password is able to be set. To disable this setting you must login with BIOS password and change the setting "Lock UEFI BIOS Settings" from "Disabled" to "Enabled"

Last edited:
Solution
I know that some W10 version (pro only?) have a feature of each users "Documents and settings" folder is being encrypted - but not the whole disk. Would that work out?

Veracrypt should be used for full disk encryption, but I believe that requires a full re-install of W10.

Btw/probably off-topic : In Linux, full disk encryption is one of the choices you get during the install procedure.
I know that some W10 version (pro only?) have a feature of each users "Documents and settings" folder is being encrypted - but not the whole disk. Would that work out?

Veracrypt should be used for full disk encryption, but I believe that requires a full re-install of W10.

Btw/probably off-topic : In Linux, full disk encryption is one of the choices you get during the install procedure.

Solution