[SOLVED] Setting a higher fan speed curve

Duder666

Prominent
Aug 10, 2020
I am wondering, if you set your fan speed higher, say when playing a demanding game, does it preserve the life of your card? Is it worth it?
I have an RTX 2070, using afterburner to set the fan speed higher just when playing certain games, I don't care about the noise, so far it seems to be keeping the card a bit cooler. When the temp reaches a certain point on the card doesn't the performance throttle down? Drawbacks? I would think that it's not good for the life of the fan on the card, however I'm only doing this occasionally on certain apps.

Solution
They were designed around 100% speed. The 0 fan, or silent profiles are just icing on the cake.
If the fans die, you look up the model number which is located on the back of the fan, or you could put one of those custom gpu coolers(air/liquid) on it at that point, since it requires you to take the card apart anyway.

When the temp reaches a certain point on the card doesn't the performance throttle down?
Yes. The 20 series cards initiate thermal throttling at 83-84C and will trigger system shutdown at 85-88C.
The reason for the '-' is that it depends on the model.

IMO, what's a little ol' fan compared to keeping my gpu at more reasonable temps?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They were designed around 100% speed. The 0 fan, or silent profiles are just icing on the cake.
If the fans die, you look up the model number which is located on the back of the fan, or you could put one of those custom gpu coolers(air/liquid) on it at that point, since it requires you to take the card apart anyway.

When the temp reaches a certain point on the card doesn't the performance throttle down?
Yes. The 20 series cards initiate thermal throttling at 83-84C and will trigger system shutdown at 85-88C.

IMO, what's a little ol' fan compared to keeping my gpu at more reasonable temps?

Solution

Duder666

Prominent
Aug 10, 2020

So what I'm doing is a good idea then?
I've heard it throttle, I think. The fan blows really fast for about 2 seconds, I'd rather it not even get to that point.
So far it seems with the higher fan speeds it doesn't anymore

Duder666

Prominent
Aug 10, 2020
Yes.
Are you normally seeing over 80C in game? You might have an airflow issue if so...

It's been a while since I cleaned my PC, long overdue. Possibly have some dust blocking the intakes
Seems to be good now, I'm playing a well known poorly optimized hog of a game, KCD
I heard it throttle once or twice days ago, but it has never shut down
This game seems to hover around 71 degrees on average

Duder666

Prominent
Aug 10, 2020
Ok, 71C is good. The fans should ignore your custom fan profile if it actually is throttling though.

It has to sit at the aforementioned thermals for an extended period of time before it triggers that. It's not programmed to shut off as soon as it hits the critical limit.

I have the RTX 2070 with the single fan that looks like a jet engine. And it loves to get dirty.
I've never taken apart a video card, but seems i would have to be able to clean that fan.
Is that an easy to botch job, maybe I should just pay someone to do it, It's a damn 500 dollar GPU after all

Duder666

Prominent
Aug 10, 2020
The blower model, right?
I've never handled a blower card before, but it doesn't appear to be that bad:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-qRtfYUdjI

Yes essentially that's what it looks like
It's mostly my own damn fault since I smoke so much while gaming
I keep telling myself I need to stop doing that around my PC, but it is what it is.
Have to clean the damn thing every month at least, so many hot points in a PC that smoke loves to stick to
And my PC is a bitch to take apart. the worst is cleaning the liquid cooler for my CPU
And my dad just found out he has lung cancer, go figure huh?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yikes... sorry to hear that, especially with the Covid mayhem.

The liquid cooler shouldn't be too hard to clean. A couple passes with a vacuum - outside of the chassis, of course - ought to do it, or take it under a faucet, dry it off as best you can, and do some passes with the vacuum.
I gave up on those compressed air cans - they're a waste of money; they freeze up too quickly, and after a few quick bursts, the pressure drops too much and they can't really do anything until they 'warm up' again.
I clean most of the PC by hand now; the radiator/heatsink and mesh filters get the vacuum.

Duder666

Prominent
Aug 10, 2020
Yikes... sorry to hear that, especially with the Covid mayhem.

The liquid cooler shouldn't be too hard to clean. A couple passes with a vacuum - outside of the chassis, of course - ought to do it, or take it under a faucet, dry it off as best you can, and do some passes with the vacuum.
I gave up on those compressed air cans - they're a waste of money; they freeze up too quickly, and after a few quick bursts, the pressure drops too much and they can't really do anything until they 'warm up' again.
I clean most of the PC by hand now; the radiator/heatsink and mesh filters get the vacuum.

Yes the faucet has been my friend lately for non electronic parts. Okay to faucet the radiator on the liquid cooler? It's a closed cooling system by the way.
The thing that makes it hard is you have to take the fans off in front of the radiator and put them back on within really tight quarters, my computer is a Maingear so that makes it even more fun to clean.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If the vacuum alone isn't cutting it for cleaning, then yeah - rinse the radiator under the faucet, dry it off by hand real quick and pass the vacuum over it a couple times to get any stragglers.

As for tight spaces, nothing a palm-sized phillips head screwdriver won't fix, I think? You don't need to tighten the screws to the point of making it impossible for yourself.