Setting fan speed to 88% can damage them?

Mongrel

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017
I manually put all my fans to be a a constant 88% no matter what i'm doing. 90% of what I do on my computer is gaming. Can this damage the fans if they are always at this fan speed?

Thanks.

Solution

Depends on the fan some are sleved and some use bearings.
I have fans in a older PC just cheap ones that have been going for about 10 years.
Your not going to hurt the fans running them at a lower voltage. Slowing them down...
No harm it may shorten their lifespan some, not enough to matter. If you want the system to run cooler. I would use a more aggressive fan speed curve rather than a constant speed. I assume the issue is that the GPU is not getting enough airflow. An aggressive system fan curve would fix this. That's what I did. So, that it is quiet during regular use but the system fans ramp up when gaming. To give my GPU plenty of air.

Mongrel

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017

So if I have them constantly at 88+ will they still be working perfectly for the next 5-7 years?

That depends on luck and the build quality of the fans. I've seen many 10+ year old servers where the fans still run. They are at 100% load 24/7. I've also seen two year old fans with light usage fail. There is no way to know for certain. In my experience odds are they will work. However, the more fans you have. The higher the odds one will fail during that timespan.

Mongrel

Prominent
Jun 21, 2017

Can you give me a rough estimate on how long the average fans at constant 100% will last when on for a good amount of time every day?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Depends on the fan some are sleved and some use bearings.
I have fans in a older PC just cheap ones that have been going for about 10 years.
Your not going to hurt the fans running them at a lower voltage. Slowing them down just lowers the voltage.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS