[SOLVED] Setting new SSD as boot drive ?

Oct 23, 2021
I have no idea what to do after copying my hard drive OS (Win10) to my new Samsung 970 Evo plus.

I tried to set it as my boot drive in bios but it doesn't show up only my old hard drive does.

Someone please help I want to boot faster bro.

Solution
As shown here when both drives are in, the Hard Drive switches back to the C: drive as, "windows boot manager" disappears from the boot options with both drives plugged in
Check Hard Drive BBS priorities section in BIOS.
There should be 2 instances with Windows Boot Manager (one per drive).
Move Windows Boot Manager on SSD to top of boot priority list.
Disable second option.

USAFRet

Titan
I have no idea what to do after copying my hard drive OS to my new Samsung 970 Evo plus.

I tried to set it as my boot drive in bios but it doesn't show up only my old hard drive does.

Someone please help I want to boot faster bro.
You don't just "copy" from the old drive to the new SSD.
Doesn't work like that.

Specific tools and procedures are required to migrate from one drive to another.

Please give us some details on this system.
Drives...make/model.
Consumed space on the old HDD.
Details, please.

Oct 23, 2021
You don't just "copy" from the old drive to the new SSD.
Doesn't work like that.

Specific tools and procedures are required to migrate from one drive to another.

Please give us some details on this system.
Drives...make/model.
Consumed space on the old HDD.
Details, please.

It's a pre built Dell Pc
I didn't just copy it I used Samsung Data Migration (Sorry I didn't explain that from the start)
I only copied 125 GB from the Hard drive onto the 2TB ssd
The ssd is detected in disk management and in the bios it just doesn't show up as an option to boot from

USAFRet

Titan
It's a pre built Dell Pc
I didn't just copy it I used Samsung Data Migration (Sorry I didn't explain that from the start)
I only copied 125 GB from the Hard drive onto the 2TB ssd
The ssd is detected in disk management and in the bios it just doesn't show up as an option to boot from
Start over.

Step 1 - Remove the new SSD. Does the system still work 100% from the old drive?

What motherboard is in this system?

Oct 23, 2021
OK, so redo the clone.
When the clone operation finishes, power OFF.
Physically disconnect the old drive, power UP, and allow the system to try to boot up from ONLY the new drive.
You may need to adjust the boot order in the BIOS.
Ok it's booted from the SSD and the hard drive is unplugged
Before I plug the hard drive back in what do I do please be specific I am stupid

USAFRet

Titan
Ok it's booted from the SSD and the hard drive is unplugged
Before I plug the hard drive back in what do I do please be specific I am stupid
Verify the boot order in the BIOS.

After, reconnect the old drive.
Then, open Disk Management
The NEW drive should be seen as the C, and the old drive some other drive letter.
If so...delete ALL partitions on the old drive.
Reformat and off you go.

Oct 23, 2021
Verify the boot order in the BIOS.

After, reconnect the old drive.
Then, open Disk Management
The NEW drive should be seen as the C, and the old drive some other drive letter.
If so...delete ALL partitions on the old drive.
Reformat and off you go.

The problem now is there is no boot option for the ssd just like in the beginning (it will boot off the ssd if there is no hard drive plugged in)
The only boot options i have are "windows boot manager" "ipv4" and "ipv6" (with both drives plugged in) with the hard drive not plugged in only ipv4 and ipv6 appear

Oct 23, 2021
Very strange.
Normally that works.

On DIsk 1, the new drive, I believe the 650MB EFI partition needs to be to the left. The first partition on the drive.
For the 990MB partition on the left, Right click and see what options it gives you.
the only option i get when i right click the 990 mb partition is "help"

As shown here when both drives are in, the Hard Drive switches back to the C: drive as, "windows boot manager" disappears from the boot options with both drives plugged in
Check Hard Drive BBS priorities section in BIOS.
There should be 2 instances with Windows Boot Manager (one per drive).
Move Windows Boot Manager on SSD to top of boot priority list.
Disable second option.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS