Question Setting pi hole as primary DNS in PortMaster on Windows causes DNS connection failures?

digital_ecologist

Reputable
Sep 26, 2018
Hi, I've got my pi hole working quite well on on my network, with the desired effect on all but one of my devices.

On my Windows 10 laptop however, if I set my pi hole as the primary DNS resolver in PortMaster the result is that basically all websites stop resolving. Below see how I've tried to define the custom entry.

Oddly, on my much older laptop running Linux Mint Xfce, this seems to work as expected.

Code:
dot://orangepipcplus?ip=192.168.X.XXX&name=Pi-hole&blockedif=empty

Any advice on how to make pi-hole and PortMaster work together on my Windows 10 laptop?

Davidc94

Reputable
Feb 11, 2020
Hi, I've got my pi hole working quite well on on my network, with the desired effect on all but one of my devices.

On my Windows 10 laptop however, if I set my pi hole as the primary DNS resolver in PortMaster the result is that basically all websites stop resolving. Below see how I've tried to define the custom entry.

Oddly, on my much older laptop running Linux Mint Xfce, this seems to work as expected.

Code:
dot://orangepipcplus?ip=192.168.X.XXX&name=Pi-hole&blockedif=empty

Any advice on how to make pi-hole and PortMaster work together on my Windows 10 laptop?
Hello, just curious, have you tried forcing the IPv4 connection through DNS in the adapter settings for the particular interface you're using? From what I can tell, you are using it on the local network level. Should work by just pointing the computer to your Pi-Holes local network address. Let me know if you need a walkthrough on how to do it.

Not sure what portmaster is. in your router you should change the DHCP dns server to your new pihole DNS and it should fix it for every client that uses DHCP. If you have static clients then update the DNS the same way you updated them to make them static.

pihole has the option of running DHCP don't run two of them. the one in your router is fine as long as you change that setting.