Question Setting ram frequency

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hi all

I just want to find out why my xmp profile doesn’t work? I have two profiles 2999 and 3200. When I click on 3200 xmp my bios crashes and have to reset my mb:( so I set my ram manually to 3200. I know it’s bad because all the timing and frequency may be out and not in sync but my pc performance seems fine.

I hope my ram isn’t faulty it’s brand new.
I have the G.Skill TridentZ 3200 rgb,B450 Tomahawk Mb

any help and advice would be great thank you

Hi all

I just want to find out why my xmp profile doesn’t work? I have two profiles 2999 and 3200. When I click on 3200 xmp my bios crashes and have to reset my mb:( so I set my ram manually to 3200. I know it’s bad because all the timing and frequency may be out and not in sync but my pc performance seems fine.

I hope my ram isn’t faulty it’s brand new.
I have the G.Skill TridentZ 3200 rgb,B450 Tomahawk Mb

any help and advice would be great thank you

Many people recommend adjusting the ram settings manually so I wouldn't worry about the clock speed not being right on XMP. As long as you can set it manually with no stability issues, you're fine.

You should also be able to adjust timings and voltage manually in the bios. It should be in the Overclocking section and the timings configuration under the name, Advance DRAM Configuration.

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Thank you for your help,I totally agree it’s a lot easier and simple adjusting it manually. Although there is an xmp profile set I don’t think it makes a differences for me because everything seems perfect with no issues.

when I asked someone they said it’s a bad idea,I don’t no why thought?i mean if there is an option to do so why shouldn’t it be ok?

lol that’s too complicated for me I saw the dram configurations but it was just a glance.

thank you for reassuring me it’s ok.

mickycond86

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I'm guessing it could be an electric issue ...
try to crank up the voltage for you ram sticks by little ( For example - from 1.2 to 1.5 )
and then try again ...

on auto mode - the frequency is managed with voltage manage as well
and when you put it in manual mode - it need more voltage to operate - cause the system is no longer
able to slow down the ram frequency to prevent it from crash
therefore you should be thinking about that

remember that - this is just a guess according to what you said here ...
for more info - please provide us with one or more details regarding to your problem

LastSamurai

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Im not too sure why it is,I don’t really know much about voltages etc,

the xmp profile seems to be working now I’m not sure how but I was wondering why is there a big difference between manually setting a frequency and setting an xmp profile?i ran some benchmarks and tests and xmp vs manually setting the ram have the same performance.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
If the XMP profile is working and the RAM is running at 3200 like it is supposed to then there isn't a problem.
I'd guess that the first time you set the XMP profile and it didn't work it was just a glitch and the BIOS didn't properly set the XMP Profile speed and timings to the RAM.