Question Setting refresh rate of my monitor connected to my new Acer Nitro 5 to 240Hz doesnt work

Jul 30, 2022
Okay so here's my problem: My Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 arrived yesterday. When connecting my 240Hz monitor (AOC AGON AG251FG) to the laptop (via HDMI, because my Nitro 5 only has an HDMI output) everything works out fine until I try to set the refresh rate of my monitor from 144Hz to 240Hz. Upon doing that, its screen goes black as if theres no signal until the change is automatically or manually reverted. I have tried and tested a LOT of things which I will list in the following:
  • Although I'm using an "old" Nintendo HDMI cable, which i thought to be the issue, I tested its ability to transfer 240fps/hz by connecting the monitor to my previous PC via that HDMI cable and doing the UFO test which proved the cable to not be the issue (Nonetheless I will buy a new HDMI cable today because using a Nintendo one just feels wrong to me and maybe it might resolve my issue although it shouldn't)
  • Yes, I've installed/updated every crucial driver I could think of and it didn't help
  • I have tried turning off V-Sync in the 3D settings and played around with a few other settings in the nvidia control panel
  • The issue also isn't connected to my monitor and the laptops screen having differing refresh rates because I tried setting each one to 60Hz while the other one was still at 144Hz, which worked out without any issue whatsoever
  • Changing which of the screens is the main one also didn't resolve the issue.
This is overall very very frustrating as the acer Nitro 5 is my first PC able to output 240 fps this consistently so being forced to lock my 240Hz monitor to 144Hz would be extremely disappointing. I'm certain there's some solution to this since this issue shouldn't be a thing in the first place and I hope somebody more knowledgable than me can help me with this.

Jul 30, 2022
Oh damn I saw what you were referring to. The weird thing is, as I said, I tried out using an HDMI cable with the monitor and my old pc and even 240Hz seemed to have worked without any issues. But if the HDMI input actually only supporting 60Hz is the issue while DP supports 240Hz, would using an HDMI to DP cable/converter work here? Because the laptop only has 1 HDMI output.

Edit: It seems like the manual to my monitor is simply wrong. Just to be sure I just ran a few more tests with the HDMI cable connecting my old PC with the monitor and it 100% displayed 240Hz so the issue doesn't seem to be anything input/output related I think? I'm really out of ideas at this point.

Last edited:
Oh damn I saw what you were referring to. The weird thing is, as I said, I tried out using an HDMI cable with the monitor and my old pc and even 240Hz seemed to have worked without any issues. But if the HDMI input actually only supporting 60Hz is the issue while DP supports 240Hz, would using an HDMI to DP cable/converter work here? Because the laptop only has 1 HDMI output.

Edit: It seems like the manual to my monitor is simply wrong. Just to be sure I just ran a few more tests with the HDMI cable connecting my old PC with the monitor and it 100% displayed 240Hz so the issue doesn't seem to be anything input/output related I think? I'm really out of ideas at this point.
Very likely the output of the laptop can't run at 240 hz. Adapter cables won't do anything since the port and signal output won't change, the adapters just change the connection type for the most part not the underlying technology of the port.

Reactions: Kaktus.-.