[SOLVED] Setting resolution from 1920 to 1280 on a laptop: effect on display quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankRabbit

Honorable
Jul 4, 2015
I now have a 15.6'' laptop with a 1280 px resolution, which I like very much because the letters are relatively big, which I find much less tiring on the eyes. It's getting old and I have money to buy a new one, but I can only get 15.6'' laptops with a 1920 px resolution. And I cannot change the resolution on demo models in the stores.

Hence my question to you readers: if you have a laptop with a 1920 resolution, would you do me a favor: set it to 1280 or 1620 and tell me how that affects the quality of the display? I was told that only laptops with a proper graphics card (dedicated RAM) would be able to give a decent result, that's why I would need to know that as well: whether your laptop has such a card.

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
I now have a 15.6'' laptop with a 1280 px resolution, which I like very much because the letters are relatively big, which I find much less tiring on the eyes. It's getting old and I have money to buy a new one, but I can only get 15.6'' laptops with a 1920 px resolution. And I cannot change the resolution on demo models in the stores.

Hence my question to you readers: if you have a laptop with a 1920 resolution, would you do me a favor: set it to 1280 or 1620 and tell me how that affects the quality of the display? I was told that only laptops with a proper graphics card (dedicated RAM) would be able to give a decent result, that's why I would need to know that as well: whether your laptop has such a card.

Thank you very...

Thank you very much in advance!

Running 1280 in a 1920 monitor will be a bit worse than native 1280, though not by much. Any graphics card will do this, don't buy into that "dedicated RAM" requirement. I wonder if you tried increasing DPI settings to make things larger without needing to change resolution.

Solution

FrankRabbit

Honorable
Jul 4, 2015
You will only get the sharpest and best quality picture at the native resolution of the display panel. Anything else will look blurred. Especially around the edges.

Sounds logical. But nowadays, you can get 16'' laptops with a resolution of 3840 x 2400. See for example https://www.centralpoint.nl/noteboo...0h-16i-16gb-art-90nb0ui3-m04120-num-13709010/. Text becomes extremely small at its native resolution, I'd think? Or is that just a matter of DPI setting?

FrankRabbit

Honorable
Jul 4, 2015
Running 1280 in a 1920 monitor will be a bit worse than native 1280, though not by much. Any graphics card will do this, don't buy into that "dedicated RAM" requirement. I wonder if you tried increasing DPI settings to make things larger without needing to change resolution.

I tried that in the distant past, and at the time it didn't work well, for some reason. But now that I try it again on my current laptop, text is indeed enlarged without noticeable loss of sharpness. I'll certainly try that. Thanks for the tip! :)

Reactions: Murissokah
Status
Not open for further replies.