[SOLVED] Setting up ‘the beast’ (pre-diagnostics etc)

Novadreams

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Hi, so it’s been about 10 years since I’ve built my last computer (i7 930 top of the line then) and almost have ‘the beast’ completed. It’s build is the following:

I9 9900k
Asus ROG Strix Z390-E
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB
Samsung EVO 500gig sata ssd
2tb WD HDD
Corsair h100i pro (AIO)
Gigabyte 2080 ti x-11
Corsair 750w gold series

I know people are probably going to shake their head on the money spent, but I build my computers to last 5-10 years before another upgrade. Before I fire this thing up, what apps and diagnostic tools should I place on my desktop or temp readers that you guys recommend. Also if you see any shortcomings in the build at this point. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks gents.

Solution
Always a fan of CoreTemp. But really any tool like Hardware Monitor, SpeedFan, etc is fine for monitoring basic temperatures.

You'll maybe want the Corsair software for the pump control, though you could rely entirely on the motherboard for that.

EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner so you can mess with overclocking/monitoring of the GPU if you so desire.

Cinebench is always a good quick test of CPU stability when you are overclocking. It equates pretty well to gaming loads , at least in my experience. 3d Mark Firestrike and/or Timespy is a common CPU/Graphics bench tool and lets you compare with others online to see if anything might be wrong.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Always a fan of CoreTemp. But really any tool like Hardware Monitor, SpeedFan, etc is fine for monitoring basic temperatures.

You'll maybe want the Corsair software for the pump control, though you could rely entirely on the motherboard for that.

EVGA Precision or MSI Afterburner so you can mess with overclocking/monitoring of the GPU if you so desire.

Cinebench is always a good quick test of CPU stability when you are overclocking. It equates pretty well to gaming loads , at least in my experience. 3d Mark Firestrike and/or Timespy is a common CPU/Graphics bench tool and lets you compare with others online to see if anything might be wrong.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
9900k , I would probably keep in in the mid-80s myself. It will run up to 105C, but you don't want to do that on a regular basis. Might also speed up the evaporation of the cooler, they slowly lose liquid over many years.

H100i should be sufficient even for some overclocking (or at least forcing all the cores to go up to the boost speed) . There are bigger/better coolers out there but the costs will start going up rapidly from there.

TRENDING THREADS