[SOLVED] Setting up 2 external HDMI monitors for Macbook Air (Retina, 13 inch, 2018)

Jul 26, 2021
Hi,

We have a Macbook Air (Retina, 13 inch display, 2018) that we are hoping to set up with two external HDMI monitors to allow for an extended desktop. Our Macbook Air has 2 x USB-C ports that can function as Thunderbolt 3 ports.

Neither of us have any experience with adaptors or external monitors but I see that there are many reports online of people having issues setting up 2 external monitors with this model of Macbook Air. I see some people use 2 dongles to connect the HDMI monitors to the Macbook Air but we would like to be able to charge the Macbook at the same time so we are thinking this setup is not going to work for us.

Does anyone on this forum have any thoughts on if our desired setup will be possible? If it is thought to be possible, we would appreciate advice regarding dongles/adaptors/docking stations that have the ports that will be needed.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I have set my MacBook Pro 16 2019 (no, it's not the same) connecting to a OWC Thunderbolt dock - the one I have provides 5 or 6 USB-C thunderbolt ports, 3 usb-A 3.1 ports and one usb-A 2 port and, most important, it connects to the mac with one thunderbolt cable and charges it - the other 3 Mac ports are left free. I connect to an external monitor using usb-c to DisplayPort, 'cause i get 144 Hz, and you can connect a second HDMI/60 to the hub or the Mac (the hub stately supports 2 4k/60 or 1 8K.
Jun 26, 2021
I have set my MacBook Pro 16 2019 (no, it's not the same) connecting to a OWC Thunderbolt dock - the one I have provides 5 or 6 USB-C thunderbolt ports, 3 usb-A 3.1 ports and one usb-A 2 port and, most important, it connects to the mac with one thunderbolt cable and charges it - the other 3 Mac ports are left free. I connect to an external monitor using usb-c to DisplayPort, 'cause i get 144 Hz, and you can connect a second HDMI/60 to the hub or the Mac (the hub stately supports 2 4k/60 or 1 8K.

Solution