Question Setting up 2 laptops on same network 1 doesn't see the other 1

huginn

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I have two Lenovo laptops. An i3 and ryzen 5 both with windows 10 that I keep up to date

The i3 sees the ryzen, from the i3 I can access files on the public folder on the ryzen 5

The Ryzen 5 does not see the i3 . As far as I can tell the windows setting are the same for both systems

Not sure if this matters but I have a NETGEAR AC1000 Dual Band Smart WiFi Router, Fast Ethernet (R6080)
The i3 is connected with Ethernet cable
and the ryzen is using wi-fi

as a side note there is a hp printer connected to the router and both laptops can access the printer

I am assuming it is a windows setting

Is it using wifi off that same netgear device? If you've added more than one router you can get 1 way issues like that. With the NAT any device can make outbound connections but it blocks inbound. So if you have wifi on your modem/router and then another router below that with the i3 wired in then you will have the dual NAT issue.

Also fast ethernet is only 100Mbs. It's astounding they still sell that stuff.

huginn

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Is it using wifi off that same netgear device? If you've added more than one router you can get 1 way issues like that. With the NAT any device can make outbound connections but it blocks inbound. So if you have wifi on your modem/router and then another router below that with the i3 wired in then you will have the dual NAT issue.

Also fast ethernet is only 100Mbs. It's astounding they still sell that stuff.

The way it is setup is I have a Motorola cable modem . It has 2 ports one for the coaxial cable and one Ethernet port. The netgear is connecteed to the Motorola with an Ethernet cable. The i3 is connected to the netgear router with an Ethernet cable and the Ryzen, hp printer and my smartphne is connected to the netgear router by using wifi

Everything works fine except that the Ryzen can not see the I3

I dont know what setting is wrong. I went to the network and sharing center in settings and both have the same settings.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
do both the computers have a username and password in place?

WIn 10 generally will not allow a network connection from one computer to another without having that. Now, there are exceptions in regards to that "homegroup/let windows" setup.

Did you try to ping it like I mentioned above?