Setting up 2 monitors

wayne0881

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Is it possible too connect a standard box tv and a monitor to act as a 2 monitor set-up. My standard tv works as a monitor via a s-video cable, but when I then connect the pc monitor via VGA that comes on but the tv doesn't. I have tried to go into control panel, display, then configure it in there but can't seem to get it to work. Im running xp

I don't think you can use the S-video out as part of a dual monitor setup. And that's a horrible way to use it, unless you don't have an HD TV. S-Video will not give you a very clear image.

Post your system specs and what TV you are using it with. You may need to get a different video card.

wayne0881

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
As I mentioned above its a box tv, so not HD, my video card is a Radeon Sapphire X1950 pro AGP, it has s-video, VGA, and DVI. The TV is an old Panasonic box tv with an s-video and 2 scarts and some audio and thats it. The s-video works by its self so I can use the TV as a Monitor but they just won't seem to work together.

Something like this "may" work.. http://sewelldirect.com/pc-to-tv.asp It should make your PC think it's outputting to a VGA monitor and setup up dual displays.

But I have never tried the product or something similar. I also am not 100% sure that you can't use S-video as a secondary output but there is something in my head that tells me that's the case, lingering memory from sometime or something.