Setting up 2 routers in one house

UnforgivenGamer

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I was wondering how I would go about setting up two routers in one house. I have one wireless router connected to a modem downstairs and I want to setup a second router in my room to connect my computer to ethernet. Is this possible? If so help would be much appreciated :)

Solution
Yes they plug into the Wall plugs and use your Home Wiring to transmit, so your computer plugs into one using a Ethernet cable and the other runs to the Router using another Ethernet cable. You can get them up to 1gb per sec but those are fairly expensive.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Wouldn't it be easier to just use a Powerline Adapter from your Room to the Router? Then your basically running Ethernet from your Computer to the Router downstairs.

Linksys Homeplug AV2 Powerline Kit (PLEK500) $53.98 + $5.49 shipping
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4SOF3S/ref=asc_df_B00D4SOF3S3551039?smid=A3DRD2WX13H6ZQ&tag=mysimon-pc03-20&linkCode=df0&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B00D4SOF3S#

UnforgivenGamer

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

It might be but I'd need like a 100ft long ethernet cable and my mom doesn't want it as it would look out of place.
Edit: My bad are those different from ethernet cables? I've never seen them.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Yes they plug into the Wall plugs and use your Home Wiring to transmit, so your computer plugs into one using a Ethernet cable and the other runs to the Router using another Ethernet cable. You can get them up to 1gb per sec but those are fairly expensive.

Solution

UnforgivenGamer

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

Didn't mean to select answer quite yet but you seem to be on the right track :D So all I need to do is plug one into an outlet near my computer and the other into an outlet near my router and use two ethernet cables?

You need only 1 WLAN router.

1. WLAN
Modem to your main WLAN router
Your main router to repeater
Repeater to your PC via WLAN adapter.

2. PowerLAN
Modem to your main router to PowerLAN or Modem direct to PowerLAN adapter
PLAN adapter to your RJ45 plug in your PC/Laptop
Note: PowerLAN adapter and router might have WLAN too, depends on what you buy.

Both variants does not need of 100m ethernet cable.
I hope the word PowerLAN is already familiar on your side.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

Router to Powerline transmitter and Powerline Receiver to Computer both using Ethernet cables yes that is all you need.

UnforgivenGamer

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

You just solved my 2 month internet issue I thank you my friend xD
I was looking at this one. http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA6010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00IBPLI48/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1424423066&sr=1-1&keywords=powerline+adapter
Would two cat5 or cat5e ethernet cables?