Setting up a 1TB fileserver

sleek

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2005
I want to know which would be the best/cheapest way to setup a 1TB fileserver (on a 100mbps network) for video file storage.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
4 250GB drives in JBOD in some old cheap system, and some inexpensive RAID card that supports JBOD.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I would consider using RAID 5, so that your server can survive the death of a single drive.

Read the article on modifying XP to create a software Raid 5 array.

This weekend I am buying a fourth $120 WD1200JB for $40 (after $60 rebate) for my software Raid 5 array.

Why. Because I am too cheap to spend $90 for a RAID 5 controller and I am too lazy to backup 320 GB as often as I should. :)

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Best way = 5x 250gb HDs on a 3Ware 9500S-8MI in a raid5. There really isn't a good way to back up that much data so redundancy is a good idea. I'm sure there are cheaper sata raid5 controllers out there but 3ware cards are all true hardware raid controllers, that is usually better :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>