[SOLVED] "setting up a few more things" "Drive Where windows is installed is Locked"

Feb 27, 2021
Hoping to keep my files, otherwise I woulda just full wiped and reinstalled by now.

Windows 8.1 64
i7-4790K (not overclocked, never was)
Z97-HD3 mobo
16BG RAM
One SSD is all I have and I never made a second partition or anything like that but it seems there is one (read later).

I lost internet which happens about once every 2 months, I usually replug the router from the wall and it's fixed in 3 minutes. This time it didn't. Other PCs on the router have internet. I tried a bunch of basic things like unistall network adapter, reinstall, update driver etc, nothing worked. So I tried REFRESH YOUR PC WITHOUT AFFECTING YOUR FILES. Now I can't get windows to open.
I'm unsure if it was after or right before losing internet, recently I ran disc cleanup (or defrag or something like that in Action Center toolbar icon, I think it may have been right after loosing internet that I checked action center which I normally don't but maybe was looking for an internet solution, and noticed it said it wasn't cleaned in a long time or ever.

I get either of the two titled errors. I tried many video and webpage tutorials but nothing worked.

I also paid $20 for neosmart easy recovery essentials (ERE) which has a whole big article for the LOCKED fix but ERE just gives me a frozen screen and their other cmd commands did nothing. I burned the ERE ISO twice to make sure, and did it on slowest speed, have burned ISOs before (DBAN) no problem but ERE is a frozen screen for me. Also with the ERE disc in, I can't often turn the PC off (only way I have is to hold power for 3 seconds) and it always reboots itself too if the disc is in.

ERE has a VGA mode I can quickly select, otherwise is chooses the first option and gives a frozen solid grey screen. If I choose VGA it does quickly scroll through a bunch of stuff but then freezes at the end. I gave it about 10 mins frozen then hard OFF'd the PC. VGA mode was scrolling a bunch of stuff I don't understand like 'marker problem from config line' 'current version of pixman' 'X.org X server 1.18.4 release date''X protocol version 11' etc. Anyway, $20 ELE gets horrible reviews but I gave it a shot.

When I boot from the OEM 8.1 disc, I choose REPAIR, not INSTALL (would wipe files).
From there I can TROUBLESHOOT> REFRESH YOUR PC = error: "THE DRIVE WHERE WINDOWS IS INSTALLED IS LOCKED. UNLOCK THE DRIVE AND TRY AGAIN."
TROUBLESHOOT > ADVANCED OPTIONS > SYSTEM RESTORE = error: "YOU MUST SPECIFY WHICH WINDOWS INSTALLATION TO RESTORE".
TROUBLESHOOT > ADVANCED OPTIONS > SYSTEM IMAGE RECOVERY = error: "COULDN'T FIND A SYSTEM IMAGE" (I don't think I've made one actually).
TROUBLESHOOT > ADVANCED OPTIONS > STARTUP REPAIR = error: "COULDN'T REPAIR YOUR PC".
There also UEFI FIRMWARE SETTINGS but I know nothing about that and didn't see it mentioned in tutorials.
I almost never had to mess with cmd either but I did a lot of tutorial commands in there but nothing fixes anything.

If I boot without the OEM disc or anything in tray, I get" error "SETTING UP A FEW MORE THINGS" and it freezes at 3% "COULD NOT COMPLETE INSTALLATION".

Somehow a couple times I managed to get that part to go %100 but then it errors at like %95 when finishing up another step.

If I follow this 16:48 video for the DRIVE IS LOCKED error,
Drive Where Windows Is Installed Is Locked UEFI Mode FIX [Tutorial] by MDtech
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL1cWjpbYiE

I get to about the 5:01 mark ^ but then afraid I'll wipe something if I proceed farther. It shows I have

TYPE SIZE OFFSET
Partition 1 Primary 350MB 1024KB
Partition 2 Primary 223GB 351MB

By the way, I can't ever get cmd to restart the PC, some tutorials say make it restart to complete the commands, but it won't restart if I try Shutdown /r, shutdown /r, Shutdown -r, Shutdown /r /f, shutdown /r /f, shutdown -r -f. \ or / etc.

Also, sometimes my cmd starts with C:\> or X:\Sources>. I can toggle it by typing C: or X: but unsure if it matters. Some tutorials were showing something like c:\system32 though which I haven't seen on mine.

This 6:07 vid from LotusGeek "the drive where windows is installed is locked unlock the drive and try again"
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0KvW3x4DIM

His cmd is showing system32, again, mine doesn't.
If I follow his steps, at 2:27 after "bootrec /scanos" it shows I have TWO total identified windows installations. I never willing made a partition or know how, but maybe something recent caused this, if it matters. 1 is D:\Windows, 2 is D:\Windows.old\Windows

Then I do "bootrec /rebuildbcd", it says 'total identified windows installations" 1. [1] D:\Windows "add installation to boot list? YES(Y) No(N) ALL(A)".
I tried A, it said "requested system device can not be found". I tried Y, it then shows [2] .old\Windows I select Y again = "The requested system device can not be found'.I then cmd 'exit' as instructed but I don't have his option to CONTINUE TO WINDOWS 'and it should be fixed'.

I did chkdsk c:/f = 'windows scanned the system and found no problems'.

I really have no idea how to fix this without wiping out all my un-backed up data, if it's even possible. I have my most important stuff backed up but a whole bunch I didn't. For now I'm a) upgrading to windows 10 and b) backing up things to a cloud/external every week or two.

By the way, I run spybot and defender scans daily and only found one or two things in like 10 years and I haven't had any malware or virus problems that I know of and hadn't been downloading or clicking anything out of the ordinary before this happened. But possibly it's some sort of malware?

Please help if you can, thanks!!

Solution
I think I want to order the hard copy Windows 10 disc instead of a free upgrading from my 8.1 or buying an online key or flashdrive. I know the disc is the most expensive but I just prefer to have it.
Can you link me where I can get it a good deal? I think I want 64 bit.
You can make windows 10 installation media yourself. It requires 8GB USB flash drive. This is preferred method, because it gives most recent windows version.
Buying windows installation media on CD or preloaded flash drive will not give you most recent version. You'll have to download upgrade (or multiple upgrades) and upgrade to latest version anyway.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Also please suggest an SSD to buy. I...
From there I can TROUBLESHOOT> REFRESH YOUR PC = error: "THE DRIVE WHERE WINDOWS IS INSTALLED IS LOCKED. UNLOCK THE DRIVE AND TRY AGAIN."
I really have no idea how to fix this without wiping out all my un-backed up data, if it's even possible.
Get a new SSD.
Your old SSD has exhausted all write cycles and has locked itself.
You can recover data from it, but cant write to it. That means, can't install anything on it either.

BTW - what model is your old SSD? How old?

Feb 27, 2021
Thanks! I posted this on like 7 forums, and only got minimal replies so far besides here seems promising. One place banned me lol?!

someone here has a different suggestion about finding which drive letter my install is on and running chkdsk on it

My brother is an advanced software engineer and I tried getting some help from him over text pictures but it was too difficult but when I showed him"
TYPE SIZE OFFSET
Partition 1 Primary 350MB 1024KB
Partition 2 Primary 223GB 351MB

He said he doesn't see where it shows free space.

The SSD is from 2013 when I built this PC. Vector 150 240GB

So can I just order a new larger SSD online, put in in the broken PC, fresh install OEM 8.1 to it, and then hook up the frozen SSD to get the files? Will I need some sort of special adapter like USB to SATA data but can use the power from the same PSU? Will it simply pop up as a data drive if I connect it after installing 8.1 on a new ssd?
Should I just go ahead and order windows 10 now also along with the new SSD?

I also have two external data-only SSDs with plenty space to transfer my files to if needed.

After that, I'll order OEM windows 10 and wipe away the 8.1 and destroy and throw away the 8.1 cd and 240BG vector 150?

to back up info

you have the installer?
in command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

I don't even know what installer is, the OEM 8.1 disc is all I have, and the ERE $20 thing.

thank you so much

Last edited:
So can I just order a new larger SSD online, put in in the broken PC, fresh install OEM 8.1 to it, and then hook up the frozen SSD to get the files?
Yes. That's the general idea.
Will I need some sort of special adapter like USB to SATA data but can use the power from the same PSU?
No. Only additional sata data cable is necessary. Your PSU should have spare sata power connector.
Will it simply pop up as a data drive if I connect it after installing 8.1 on a new ssd?
It will not "pop up". It should become available. It may require assigning a drive letter before data can be accessed.
Should I just go ahead and order windows 10 now also along with the new SSD?
You mighht be able to upgrade to windows 10 for free.
After that, I'll order OEM windows 10 and wipe away the 8.1 and destroy and throw away the 8.1 cd and 240BG vector 150?
No need to destroy anything. But do as you wish.

Feb 27, 2021
I think I want to order the hard copy Windows 10 disc instead of a free upgrading from my 8.1 or buying an online key or flashdrive. I know the disc is the most expensive but I just prefer to have it. Well, actually maybe I should just download the ISO version and burn it to DVD with imgBurn? Still need a link, home version, oem? 64 32? I don't want anything that's an 'upgrade' though in case I need to wipe again I'd rather just deal with 1 disc rather than the 8.1 and then the upgrading disc.

Can you link me where I can get it a good deal? I think I want 64 bit. I don't need any office add-ons like Word etc. Prefer to pay with paypal.

Also please suggest an SSD to buy. I guess 240GB wasn't big enough. I don't think I had much installed or stored on the 240GB vector and it never warned storage was running low but I'll order a larger one.

I do have plenty spare sata etc cables for my modular PSU. I'll be able to get everything off the frozen drive once I install win 10 on a new SSD and connect the locked one? Like, if it's locked how will it show me the files if not in a windows format? I'll be able to get my bookmarks etc?
I might have to make a separate thread for that when the time comes hopefully in about 5 days I'll receive my new SSD and copy of Win10.

Last edited:
I think I want to order the hard copy Windows 10 disc instead of a free upgrading from my 8.1 or buying an online key or flashdrive. I know the disc is the most expensive but I just prefer to have it.
Can you link me where I can get it a good deal? I think I want 64 bit.
You can make windows 10 installation media yourself. It requires 8GB USB flash drive. This is preferred method, because it gives most recent windows version.
Buying windows installation media on CD or preloaded flash drive will not give you most recent version. You'll have to download upgrade (or multiple upgrades) and upgrade to latest version anyway.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Also please suggest an SSD to buy. I guess 240GB wasn't big enough.
Samsung 860 evo, Crucial MX500 - 2.5"models.
I'll be able to get everything off the frozen drive once I install win 10 on a new SSD and connect the locked one?
Like, if it's locked how will it show me the files if not in a windows format? I'll be able to get my bookmarks etc?
File recovery should be easy.
connect old drive;​
assign drive letter to old drive;​
copy user data from old to new drive.​

Bookmark retrieval depends on browser used. May need to do some research, how to do that.

Solution
Feb 27, 2021
Should I get a 1TB SSD? I don't think the 240GB was even close to full despite what the cmd showed but I could be wrong, either way I don't think I'll ever need more than 4X the 240BG and if need be I have externals. If this titled problem really happened from lack of space, shouldn't Windows have popped up to warn me a while ago?