Setting up a fiber channel storage.

Wambsickle

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
I was recently gifted some storage arrays that are full of fiber drives. Now I've never messed with fiber controllers in my life, nor do I know much about them. I'm curious as to what it would take to set these storage arrays up. I'm sitting on roughly 200TB of fiber drives that are worthless to me. They are in a storage array (some Xiotech ISE storage array), but I have no way to hook them up to my network or any computer. They have an ethernet and fiber connection on them (obviously). But would I just need some form of a fiber channel controller? Or would I have to outfit my entire home network with something that can control fiber. I have access to a decent amount of enterprise hardware so worst case scenario I can get my hands on the required hardware. I just have no idea what to do with any of this, but I could use the storage.

Solution
Many posters get FC storage "gifted" to them and they aren't "gifted" ALL the necessary parts. IF you have a storage array, I would recommend you start with connecting an ethernet port up and login to the controller. If you can't do that, then you can't make a lot of progress... IF you get the admin displays up then you can see what you have. The model of the controller, the type of interfaces, etc.

kanewolf

Titan
Many posters get FC storage "gifted" to them and they aren't "gifted" ALL the necessary parts. IF you have a storage array, I would recommend you start with connecting an ethernet port up and login to the controller. If you can't do that, then you can't make a lot of progress... IF you get the admin displays up then you can see what you have. The model of the controller, the type of interfaces, etc.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS