Question Setting up a Home Network - Need Advice

Jun 10, 2019
I've just moved into to my new house which unfortunately is pretty much refurbished so there is no routing of Ethernet cabling in any parts of the house. Now there may be hope, as I've found somewhere to install a rack above the lounge and wanted some advice on the options I've come up with and the equipment for each (sorry for the huge list of options):

The first element I've researched is the rack, i'm limited by a depth and width of 550MM, but have found the following options:

1. Penn Elcom 18U:
R6418V-M6 (Depth 406mm / Depth 450MM):
  1. Vented Door: £156.88
  2. Glass Door: £165.13
  3. Castor base: £25
  4. Castors: R8200HD: £24.12
Total: £206 / £214.25
--------------------------------------------------
2. Comms Express:
WM1865B - Datacel 18U 500MM Deep £138
3. SYS RACKZ - 18U 19" 550mm deep £171
4. Comms Rack:
18U 550MM: £126
5. Cable Monkey:
18U 550MM deep: £156.96 + Castors (£30)
6. Lamda-Tek (LMS data Dynamode CAB-W18U-EL550): £143.38

Each of the above have their drawer, shelves, PDU options etc., but wanted to get some advice on which of the above you'd go with?

So in the Rack, minus the ancillaries, I've had a think about what I'll need in the rack:

1. Keystone patch panel (24 port), something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Gi...WG7BSER6WSX&psc=1&refRID=1BR7VWG80WG7BSER6WSX

2. 24 Port Switch; leaning toward a Uniquiti managed PoE switch: US-24-250W 24 Port Switch 250W | Yay.com

3. I have Virgin SH3, have historically been an Asus router guy, and leaning towards the new AX router range like the GT11000AX, but thinking would this be less effective than a mesh system from Ubiquiti themselves? The house is circa 2500 SQ/FT, but if i leant to the Asus, they are just about to release their own AX6600 mesh setup. Will be good to get some advice on this. I guess another option would be to purchase the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter or Unify Security Gateway Router with the Access points although this will be a bit more than Asus.

4. I've opted for the keystone patch panel just so that it's easier to manage the cabling, now as the house is already decorated, I was thinking to rout some Cat6A / 7 cabling externally and via the attic down into some of the rooms, so have seen a reel of this cable:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TDA-Ethern...GC8KFBX5A4G&psc=1&refRID=1CHRRZAZ1GC8KFBX5A4G

Will need to terminate these although I will probably have around 5-6 ethernet cable routed initially.

I think that's it for now, would love to know which rack you would have from the long list above, but also in terms of hardware that will sit in the rack, what would you opt to go with and if i'm missing anything, please reply with what else I would need.

Really appreciate your input on my first networking setup!

Thanks,

What feature do you think MESH gives you when you are running AP. MESH is mostly sold to home users who have little clue and want to use WIFI to extend signals. It is basically just a more advanced form of wifi repeater.

When you use a switch with AP connected you are using the same design major corporations do. It is all one network by default. It has been done this way for years and none call it "mesh".

The main feature you get from systems like ubiquiti and some other is central configuration control.

If you think you can seamless roam from room to room you are believing marketing hype. First why would you need that feature in the first place, I would hope you are not one of those people that would watch netflix while they were walking down the stairs. The main thing it does is force a disconnect and hope the end device will connect to the proper AP. It is just as easy to do this manually if it is causing a problem. There is little need to instantly switch like say a cell phone tower.

I would avoid 802.11ax until next year. From what I have read no equipment will be certified until the end of this year so everything on the market is "pre" or "draft" equipment. Will it be compatible who knows likely but it is expensive for that risk.

Now maybe 802.11ax will roam better it has some new features but until all your equipment run 802.11ax I bet it does not work...again wait a few years.

Jun 10, 2019
How many hardwired nodes will connect to this network of yours?
What is the maximum length and breadth of the property (for wireless signal reception)?
Hey Allan

So the maximum number of Ethernet cabling I’m looking to run initially is to the four bedrooms and the lounge. I’m looking to go with the UniFi camera range which are PoE based so probably another three. The house is circa 210 sqm and its more wide than deep, so width wise the current super hub struggles to provide signal to the downstairs office which is one level down toward the front of the house. Also the router is located on the far side of the house above the lounge upstairs so WiFi signal is at most two bars at the end. I’ve ran a speed test in the lounge and I achieve 370mbps download and 40mbs upload. In the office this reduces to 65mbps download and 35mbps upload.

The bedroom on the far side upstairs has similar results.

Jsmith - so I was thinking have the rack on castors to make it easier when maintaining the hardware.

Does anyone have a preference on the racks or router setup? Really valid point on the ax standard routers but I would think firmware would update draft spec?

kanewolf

Titan
You will have a 24port POE UniFI switch, get the UniFI access points with wired back haul to the POE switch. Don't do mesh, IMO. The USG-Pro4 is a nice rack-mount companion to the US-24. The UAP-AC-IW-PRO in-wall AP or the standard smoke detector style AP. I just recapped my WIFI with UniFI. I like having guest WIFI isolated with the APs.

Reactions: Scuderia488
Jun 10, 2019
LOL. That would be nice, but history shown, they make u throw out (or donate) your old box.

More specifics rack suggestion, if u can post a picture of the room given a sense of size and available space and electricity jacks locations.

Here is the location of the to be rack, depth is circa 560mm, and width 550mm. I'll be relocating the rail higher to fit the rack in.

Here
QMMOFpo.jpg