[SOLVED] Setting up a LAN - need help

Jul 4, 2020
I have one pc with windows 10 installed in it. i use my additional hard disks in that pc and i directly connect it to my pc using a cat5e cable (i get up to 1Gbps). i want to access the files of my computers (both of them) using my laptop and using the computer near the TV to watch films... (not to remote connect and play, to just open the films in my other computer). Can i do it by just buying a switch (i found a cheap switch "D-LINK 1008a" which is 100Mbps [that is fin for me] ) but i still need the access to my second my pc with 1Gbps cuz i edit 1080p 60fps videos using it (according to what i have seen, 100Mbps isn't enough). what if i do the thing in this picture (directly connect the 2nd pc to my main pc using my cate5e cable and the ports of the mobos [as i do now] and add a 100Mbps network card for both my storage pc and my main pc and hook it up to a switch using some cat5 or cat5e [both of them doesn't have a huge difference in the price in my country ] and also connect to a access point and connect it directly to the pc near the TV, and access all the files in all the pc's using any pc..., so that would be separate ). NOTE : I AM NOT CONNECTING THEMTO INTERNET AND ONLY TO SHARE THE FILES.

tvxJaxI.png

DO I NEED A ROUTER, OR CAN I DO IT ONLY USING THE SWITCH (only to share files)

the 1Gbps should be separate from the 100Mbps one which is connected to other devices (because i video edit and sometimes even photo edit using it, so that speed really matters)

can i do the thing in the picture without any problem (even its hard), please guide me or will it cause a problem... please help

when i click on network i see this ( in this pic there is only my main pc with the shared files... [ i have switched off the storage pc but when its switched on i see that pc here too (only the shared folders and drives) ] ) - so, will connecting the computers twice (one using the 1Gbps and other using the 100Mbps which is also connected to other devices) cause a problem?? if i am wrong please guide me!

BGpEWCY.png

THANK YOU!

Solution
You can use a DHCP server software on one of your PC's if you keep it on all the time. https://www.dhcpserver.de/cms/
But that's kind of an inefficient use of power, unless you plan on keeping it on as a server.

How many ports do you need exactly, I see 4 ports on your diagram. You can get the Ubiquiti Edgerouter X for $60 brand new USD. Even cheaper used.
You might be able to do it that way but it depends on if the main and storage pc have 2 ethernet nic cards. You have to carefully setup the second nic on a different ip subnet. The other nic you would just connect to a switch or your internet router.

You are going to be better off just buying a small switch with gbit ports and connecting all the equipment. The cost of say a 5 port gigabit switch is only about $5 more than a 5 port 10/100 switch.

The switch will not slow the data transfer rate between the 2 pc and also allows access to the other devices.

If you want a 8 port rather than a 5 port gigabit switch this model tplink TL-sg108 is very popular and it actually costs less than the dlink 8 port 10/100.

Last edited:
The "D-LINK 1008a" is a GIGABIT switch according to the specs. Just connect everything to that, but since it's an unmanaged switch, you will need a router( DHCP) to assign IP addresses to devices. I also don't see a modem in your diagram.

Essentially, just buy a router/modem with a built in switch and just use that instead of the D-LINK 1008a.

Jul 4, 2020
The "D-LINK 1008a" is a GIGABIT switch according to the specs. Just connect everything to that, but since it's an unmanaged switch, you will need a router( DHCP) to assign IP addresses to devices. I also don't see a modem in your diagram.

Essentially, just buy a router/modem with a built in switch and just use that instead of the D-LINK 1008a.
i am only using this for file transfer!

if i buy this switch without a router to assign ip addresses, will it be ok?
TP-Link 24 Port TL-SG1024D
or
TL-SG1008D
or will it need a router?? (if i am using these two switches)

btw.. im buying gbps switch... That removes a lot of struggle!