Setting up a modem and router in the living room and a modem/router in the bedroom

ronaldvalverde

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
Hi Guys,

I live in a condo, have comcast as my isp and have awful wifi coverage beyond my living room from my own arris sbg6580 modem/router. There is a lot of neighbor wifi interference and the only good place for it is 6ft away from a window.

I decided to buy a new modem -arris sb6190- and separate router -linksys wrt 1900 acs- since they were on sale on black friday. I'm trying to figure out if I can replace the old modem/router in the living rm. with the new modem and separate router to see if this yields better coverage. And I want to connect the old modem/router sbg6580 to the coax outlet in my bedroom to get better coverage there -currently a spotty coverage zone. Both rooms have coax outlets with isp service --I've hooked up the sbg6580 to both outlets and it works on both. I'm not sure if using both coax outlets is going to mess something up and if both the modem/router and the modem and separate router can be used at the same time with 1 nework or if I have to create 2 separate networks.

How do I set this up so I dont run into issues?

Thanks!
-Ronald

Solution
You can only use one modem at a time.

To add an additional wifi access point you need to bring the network to the location where you want the wifi. This is usually done with eithernet wiring or powerline network adapters. Depending on how fast your connection is and what materials your home is constructed of, a wifi repeater may help too, although a repeater would be a far third place option for performance uses.

If you own the condo, consider having eithernet wiring run. Either yourself or by a pro. It is the backbone of "just works" wifi access to the internet. And can avoid wasting money and time fiddling with less than satisfactory options.

Whatever you do, buy equipment from a retailer that has a customer friendly...

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
You can only use one modem at a time.

To add an additional wifi access point you need to bring the network to the location where you want the wifi. This is usually done with eithernet wiring or powerline network adapters. Depending on how fast your connection is and what materials your home is constructed of, a wifi repeater may help too, although a repeater would be a far third place option for performance uses.

If you own the condo, consider having eithernet wiring run. Either yourself or by a pro. It is the backbone of "just works" wifi access to the internet. And can avoid wasting money and time fiddling with less than satisfactory options.

Whatever you do, buy equipment from a retailer that has a customer friendly return policy and do the work right away to get an opportunity to test the system within the return period.

Solution