[SOLVED] Setting up a new pc. does this work? or will it face issues?

Jun 9, 2020
Hey guys! beginner builder here. just wondering if all these parts fits.

1. MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

2. Ryzen 5 3600

3. 650w MWE PSU by cooler master

4. Vengeance LPX ddr4 3600mhz 2x8GB

5. Saphire rx5700xt pulse

6. AIO Cooler kraken x62

7. NZXT H510 Mid tower case. Thank you!

Solution
I dont really reinstall windows as i dont want to wipe my whole pc over again haha.
Then you're leave the system open to the likelihood that the OS has older driver and registry files left over from the previous hardware that said OS failed to flush out after you installed the newer hardware - especially the motherboard.

unless i can only reinstall with the SSD that the windows is in and not touch my gaming ssd and HDD haha
It's as easy as unplugging said drives BEFORE initiating the C drive wipe.

HamsterKing

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Hi, everything seem fine for the combo.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9RtMHB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($167.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1151.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-15 01:35 EDT-0400

Jun 9, 2020
Hi, everything seem fine for the combo.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9RtMHB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($167.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1151.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-15 01:35 EDT-0400
Does it sound like its a good pc tho. like im not too sure. haha

Jun 9, 2020
That's a BIG cooler for just a Ryzen 3600... would be more useful on the RX 5700XT - too bad there's no gpu liquid cooling kits compatible with the RX 5700 gpus...
Everything else looks ok though.
Ahh from my country they are selling a bundle for 3600 and msi b450 tomahawk max so i thought it would be good. haha. And through what little knowledge and research that i have done, 3600 seems like a good buy!

if curious, this is my current setup ATM

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
CPU Cooler: Stock
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B450M DS3H
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Some wonky 1tb Samsung HDD
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card
Case: Some weird sharkoom case
Power Supply: Thermal Take 530W

RAM and GPU Was upgraded cuz I was buying parts by parts!

Jun 9, 2020
Could you guys also pick up a good enough HDD for Games and like a m.2 for my windows or something? hah im having alot of problems with the storage as i dont know what should i do with it.

my thoughts was.

1. HDD 3TB Barracuda for gaming and storage
  2. 250GB SATA SSD for windows
  3. M.2 NVMe 1TB For games i play on the daily

HamsterKing

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Could you guys also pick up a good enough HDD for Games and like a m.2 for my windows or something? hah im having alot of problems with the storage as i dont know what should i do with it.

my thoughts was.

1. HDD 3TB Barracuda for gaming and storage
  2. 250GB SATA SSD for windows
  3. M.2 NVMe 1TB For games i play on the daily
if you want to use back your old Mobo just change the CPU will do, or just get that bundle, overkilling the system cooling is still better than undercooling it.
i usually go WD for my storage, as i have trust issues with Seagate. but that's just me.
M.2 WD Blue 1TB is good for windows, and games.
HDD 3TB Barracuda.
or you can wait for the Ryzen 4000 series, like Phaaze88 says.

Jun 9, 2020
Haha i dont know if i do have the budget for a new Ryzen 4000. dont really have much TBH thats why i went with this build.

Actually the reason why i want to switch mobo is that i suspect its having issues as my bootup and shutdown takes 5 mins.
and also to maximise my RAM as its 3600mhz! my mobo right now only supports 3200mhz :(

OR! if you guys have some cpu that fits into my build that could be just a tad bit better so that my whole system runs smoothly, let me know! maybe ill just buy the tomahawk max and the one you guys suggested seperately. :)

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Actually the reason why i want to switch mobo is that i suspect its having issues as my bootup and shutdown takes 5 mins.
When's the last time you reinstalled the OS? It's recommended to reinstall it after any motherboard change.

Check the health of the HDD. Link to Crystal Disk Info: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

PC is clean of viruses/malware? Run Adwcleaner: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
It can find things that tend to get past Windows Defender.

Jun 9, 2020
When's the last time you reinstalled the OS? It's recommended to reinstall it after any motherboard change.

Check the health of the HDD. Link to Crystal Disk Info: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

PC is clean of viruses/malware? Run Adwcleaner: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
Yup! I always use malware bytes! even turned the rootkit cleaning! I dont really reinstall windows as i dont want to wipe my whole pc over again haha. unless i can only reinstall with the SSD that the windows is in and not touch my gaming ssd and HDD haha

And i downloaded CrystalDisk like you said. All 3 Drives shows "Good"

Jun 9, 2020

could i also get an idea of something that is on par with msi b450 tomahawk max as well. seems its out of stock TT

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I dont really reinstall windows as i dont want to wipe my whole pc over again haha.
Then you're leave the system open to the likelihood that the OS has older driver and registry files left over from the previous hardware that said OS failed to flush out after you installed the newer hardware - especially the motherboard.

unless i can only reinstall with the SSD that the windows is in and not touch my gaming ssd and HDD haha

Solution
Jun 9, 2020

thats really true. i should do that then! anyways ive been thinking of 2 aio coolers. 1 is corsair h100i pro rgb or kraken x62. which one do you guys think should be better?