Setting up a RAID 0 with a SSD and a HDD

mwillis007

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
So I am building my first PC and I want to have a RAID configuration set up. I have a sandisk 128gb SSD (I want to us this as a boot drive) and a 1TB Seagate HDD. I am installing this on a gigabyte GA-Z87x-UD4H motherboard but I am having a hard time. I could really use help on this.

Solution

RAID 0 an SSD and an HDD? Oh good grief why? What do you hope to accomplish with this?
With RAID 0, the size will be limited to the smallest disk. Here, 128GB.

Just leave the SSD as the boot and application drive, and the HDD for mass storage and large games.

USAFRet

Titan

RAID 0 an SSD and an HDD? Oh good grief why? What do you hope to accomplish with this?
With RAID 0, the size will be limited to the smallest disk. Here, 128GB.

Just leave the SSD as the boot and application drive, and the HDD for mass storage and large games.

Solution

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Wouldn't the SSD actually be slowed by the HDD? I've never considered running an SSD with a mechanical because I had assumed that, aside from the lost storage space issue, the SSD would be continually waiting for the striped data off the HDD.

popatim

Titan
Yes it would be slowed since the data is split between the two drive. The raid controller would get hte first half of the data from the ssd super quick and then have to wait for the second half from the hdd. This would limit the whole thing down to hdd speeds.

FireWire2

Distinguished

You can use your SSD+1TB HDD as hybrid solution, but not RAID. SSD will be HUGH cache, therefore your system relative FAST and lot of space.

Or use SSD as OS, 1TB as data drive, create a OS image to 1TB (in compress format), then you have back up your OS.

kennetho

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

kennetho

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014
You are mistaking RAID 1 with RAID 0. The total storage available for the RAID 0 unit is simply the sum of the storage capacities of individual disks because there is no redundancy. In case of a RAID 1 array, however, there is replication of data, which means the total storage capacity of the unit is the same as that of one hard disk.
In Raid 0 if you had a 128GB drive and a 1TB drive, you would have a 1128GB drive. Problem is RAID 0 doesn't allow you to specify OS on one drive and everything else on the other. RAID 1 (Mirrored) would result in a 128GB drive in the above example.

KalTorak

Honorable
May 25, 2012

Both Raid 1 and Raid 0 will only work as multiples of the SMALLEST drive. So no, a Raid 0 with a 1TB and 128Gb drive will give you a 256Gb drive, not a 1128GB Drive, but not all this will be usable obviously.

In any case, to answer the OP, dont do this! Just stick with what others are suggesting and use the 2 drive independently.