[SOLVED] setting up a router/modem as a modem only

solomspd

Reputable
May 25, 2015
So I am trying to set up a TP-link TD-W9970 V2 router/modem as a modem only.

I tried to set it up in bridge mode so it can act as a modem as per this page

However, no matter what I do I cannot get another device to pick up on the modem's signal and create PPPoE connection with it. I tried it on 2 different routers and a PC. None of them picked up a connection.

I can't see why this doesn't work. I hope someone can help.

Solution

However, no matter what I do I cannot get another device to pick up on the modem's signal and create PPPoE connection with it. I tried it on 2 different routers and a PC. None of them picked up a connection.

I do not see that as one the three setup choices in the manual. ADSL router/modem combos tend to be very selective as to what they will do. The page you link is specific for a VDSL fiber connection -- is that what you have?

It is often easier just to use the combo as is and then attach...

RealBeast

Titan

I do not see that as one the three setup choices in the manual. ADSL router/modem combos tend to be very selective as to what they will do. The page you link is specific for a VDSL fiber connection -- is that what you have?

It is often easier just to use the combo as is and then attach another router set up as an AP.

Solution