Setting up a second monitor with this card and a HDMI to VGA adapter

May 13, 2018
Hello guys.

I know this question is one that has been answered a million times, but for this case, I didn't find an answer trough an hour or two of searching.

I have a GTX 1060 6gb graphics card and a ryzen 5 1500X CPU (if that matters), and I've been trying to set up a dual screen configuration on this PC. I have an MSI model of the card so it only has one HDMI and one DP output along with a DVI-D one.

I've connected my newer ASUS main display to a display port output with a HDMI to DP cable and it works fine. I'm now trying to connect an older LG monitor that only has VGA to the HDMI port of the card with the adapter. The adapter I have is something similar to this but from HAMA: https://www.amazon.com/Benfei-Gold-Plated-Projector-Chromebook-Raspberry/dp/B075GZ8DX7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526245468&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=hama+vga+to+hdmi&psc=1

That adapter looks to be a passive adapter and I know this has been told for a million times: "you need an active adapter for HDMI to VGA to work". Here's how it gets kind of confusing. The screen with the adapter and cable work fine on my PS4's HDMI output as well as my HP laptop's HDMI output. The laptop is using the same version of Windows 10 64 bit as well. Is it that the PS4 and my laptop have something to support the VGA connection that my GTX 1060 doesn't? I'm confused as to why it works on those and not this.

TL;DR
Trying to connect a VGA monitor to GTX 1060 with an HDMI adapter and it doesn't work. On the other hand it works with a laptop running the same OS and it works on a PS4 as well. What's going on.

Solution
Hdmi can pass vga IF the hardware supports it & has analog conversion circuitry.

The gtx 1*** cards have NO analog output whatsoever - a passive converter will never ever work.
May 13, 2018
Oh must have accidentally selected an active one, as the one I have looks exactly the same. Although the page from the nearby electronics store I got it in Finland says it's not active. Don't really know how much their customer service knows though, better look into it.

None the less, huge thanks to you good Sir!