Setting up a second router (model SMCWBR145-n2)

Apr 22, 2018
Dear all,

I'm trying to set up a second router behind the first one, which also serves as a modem. I need it because both the wifi signal is to weak for a stable connection in my room and I need to hook up both a computer and a rasphberry pi which I want to connect to the computer. I prefer to set up my own network versus just repeating the first router, as it is a shared living accommodation.

Because of this I'm opting for the lan to wan connection type between the routers. The network looks like this: router(modem) A / switch / router B. Here router B is my router. I've tried following several guides online, but many either talk about a lan-lan setup or refer to options I cannot find in my menus. I just gave up for the night, having tried for hours to get it to work :-(

What I have done so far: On router A I setup a static IP adress bound to the mac address of router B. On router B...I tried many combinations of things. I've tried to set up the wan to take on a static IP address, namely the one I told A to reserve for B, but then it keeps saying something along the lines of 'The wan IP address can't cover the lan side.' I have tried this with all sorts of intervals to the IP mask range, with DHCP turned on and off, with NAT turned on and off, etc. etc. Guides make me no wiser and I am hopelessly stuck. Any type of advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Iris

Solution
Can you log into the router/modem and configure passthrough? Then you connect it LAN -> WAN of your other router. The passthrough can be configured to pass it via DHCP and then set your WAN interface on the new router to receive ip using DHCP. Don't mess with the masks. Just use /24 and 192.168.x.x ip range.

Make sure the switch is connected to the new router and not the modem. If it's a managed switch it might be receiving the ip your modem is giving out, it's a first come first serve on dhcp and there is only one.
Can you log into the router/modem and configure passthrough? Then you connect it LAN -> WAN of your other router. The passthrough can be configured to pass it via DHCP and then set your WAN interface on the new router to receive ip using DHCP. Don't mess with the masks. Just use /24 and 192.168.x.x ip range.

Make sure the switch is connected to the new router and not the modem. If it's a managed switch it might be receiving the ip your modem is giving out, it's a first come first serve on dhcp and there is only one.

Solution