[SOLVED] Setting up a server-closet in new home ?

Pyneappel

Honorable
May 28, 2016
Not sure where to post this, or a beter site to ask this on.

I'm having a new home built which will run cat6 throughout. In the floorplan there is currently an approx 5 ft square closet that I would like to use as a server-closet. I mainly run file servers for personal/professional photo and video storage and backup, home audio and media library, VMs for personal software projects, etc.

What should I ask to be put in the closet as far as power, network, cooling and soundproofing? I'm not looking to overclock and run CPUs ate high TDPs. As I say, this is mainly storage.

Should I have some sort of louvres on the closet door to assist airflow, or should I have something more solid to retain cooling and deaden sound?

Are there any good web or youtube videos on doing something like this?

Solution

I'm having a new home built which will run cat6 throughout. In the floorplan there is currently an approx 5 ft square closet that I would like to use as a server colset. I mainly run file servers for personal/professional photo and video storage and backup, home audio and media library, VMs for personal software projects, etc.

What should I ask to be put in the closet as far as power, network, cooling and soundproofing? I'm not looking to overclock and run CPUs ate high TDPs. As I say, this is mainly storage.

Should I have some sort of louvres on the closet door to assist airflow, or should I have something more solid to retain cooling and deaden sound?

Are there...

I'm having a new home built which will run cat6 throughout. In the floorplan there is currently an approx 5 ft square closet that I would like to use as a server colset. I mainly run file servers for personal/professional photo and video storage and backup, home audio and media library, VMs for personal software projects, etc.

Are there any good web or youtube videos on doing something like this?
First thing would be to provide adequate ventilation as cross flow of air. Louvers on door and an exhaust fan to outside as minimum. No matter how cool a computer is, it will saturate with heat soon unless you can get air out.
Modern home servers are not any noisier than typical PC. I doubt that sound proofing (or much of it) is needed and wwith an opening to room probably wouldn't do nothing anyway.

Solution

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Power outlet, preferably at least 1, if not more. You can always install some sort of power strip, assuming you do not plan on pulling huge amounts of power from a single outlet.

Ventilation is critical. My network closet has a 24 port gigabit switch, patch panel, router and my gateway/modem and it gets warm with some venting just with those components. Add a server and you have an oven in no time flat. Consider having lower air inlets (for cooler air) and upper exhaust with fans, if you can on the door or otherwise built into the wall to move air out of this small space. This can help pull that heat out which will constantly be dumped into the closet by an active server and any other equipment.

Ventilation.

Ventilation.

Ventilation.

As CountMike said, you most likely do not need soundproofing at all.

Ventilation.

Are you planning on having your networking switches and components there, or are those located elsewhere in the house?

Check out Monoprice.com for home networking stuff like cabling, terminals, patch panels, tools and closet racks. I've built at least 5 small network closets like you mention and it is pretty easy as long as you plan out what you want to do.

Reactions: CountMike