Setting up a ssd boot drive

hershy314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hello,
I have my orginal hdd migrated onto a new ssd. Now I want to use the hdd as a data drive and the ssd as my boot drive. What would my next step be.

Set the SSD as the boot drive from the bios.

Disconnect the hard drive and make sure the SSD boots and runs properly.

Once you know if does, You can reconnect the hard drive and erase it.

Windows has a built in option(it is in the folders properties) to chance the location of most of the folders under c: / users / yourname / .

customlocations.png

You may also use another method to move the full USERS folder to the hard dive.

http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-in-windows-7

hershy314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I tried disconnecting the orginal hard drive and just using the ssd. It wont load windows just using the ssd. Says something about my version of windows not being valid or something like that. Even though it's all been transferred from one hard drive to another. Computer came with windows 7.

All i can recommend is try to reactivate. Normally swapping from a hard drive to an SSD(I have done it quite a few times actually) does not cause any activation issues.

If you get a blue screen with an error message(it is not like a normal blue screen error), then we have another thing to try.

Very strange. So it boots gets to windows then takes away your wall paper and tells you windows is not valid right?

They have a phone activation method. Maybe calling up MS will get this solved. I did see ONE hp that said a key was invalid(on reinstall) and calling MS got it fixed right up.

hershy314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I went to Samsungs website and according to it. This SSD is not supported by Windows 7 64bit only the 32bit system. Newegg will only replace the SSD not refund, so a little pissed right now.

Kjwinden

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Heryshey, the reason I ask if you have tried connect BOTH the HDD and the SSD is that for whatever reason (and this happened to me) the 200MB system partition that contains the boot files for windows wont transfer to the SSD.

So you'll have your OS on the SSD, but the boot files will still be on the HDD. So plug both the SSD and the HDD in and see if it boots. If it does then in the "search for programs and files" space in the start menu type in "partition," and that will give you the option to go to: "Creat and Format Hard Disk Partitions." Look at that and if your 200 MB system partition is still on your HDD then you have your problem.

The system reserved partition is required to boot, I do not think(in fact know) you can even get to windows without it. So my guess is the SSD and HDD have one.

If that was giving an error(about lets say the partition not being found. since the BCD points to a partition location and not drive/partition). as it happens when cloning sometimes, you can always edit the BCD entry from another system of the old load of Windows.

hershy314

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
According to HP the version of Windows I have can't be cloned cause it's an OEM version. Only way I can get Windows on the SSD is to use a retail disk. Guess I have to get one of those now.