Setting up a storage overflow system (NVR, DESKTOP, NAS)

RobHoltby

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Hello there, I'm not entirely sure how to describe what I'm trying to achieve, so I'll write the most basic version out and hopefully you'll be able to expand upon it.

I currently have an NVR, network video recorder, for my home's security system, as time passes, storage is becoming an issue.

At the moment the NVR footage is sent to and stored on a Mac Mini (2TB local storage)

Unfortunately this storage is running out. I have a network storage device 6TB, however the write speed is around 11MB/s, which may not be fast enough to write files directly from all of the cameras.

So ideally, I'd like to be able to set up a system where the files are stored on the Mac Mini for a period of time (since it can receive and store the files quickly enough) and after this period (2 months for example) the files would then be sent to the network storage device for deeper, long-term storage, at the slower write speed.

Hopefully that all makes logical sense, I look forward to hearing your ideas and solutions!

Thanks

Robert

Solution
Most backup software permits setting up some backup scheduling.

Google word combinations such as "Mac Mini backup software"

Here is an example link of what I found:

https://macminicolo.net/blog/files/use-your-mac-mini-as-a-backup-server.html

Time Machine may work for your needs. The specifics are in the details of the full implementation your require. E.g., the interim storage space (Mac Mini) prematurely fills up for some reason and then needs to be copied to longer term storage.

Ralston18

Titan
Most backup software permits setting up some backup scheduling.

Google word combinations such as "Mac Mini backup software"

Here is an example link of what I found:

https://macminicolo.net/blog/files/use-your-mac-mini-as-a-backup-server.html

Time Machine may work for your needs. The specifics are in the details of the full implementation your require. E.g., the interim storage space (Mac Mini) prematurely fills up for some reason and then needs to be copied to longer term storage.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS