setting up a wireless network with only 1 laptop

hi all, here's the prob, bought myself a d-link dwl-g650+ wireless pcima card and a d-link di-624 4 port lan router, my idea was to free myself of cables and use my laptop in the garden, it is the only pc in the house, installed the software for the card and configured the router, however even tho i have a 54mbps connectio between the router and card, if i attempt to access the net, it fonds no service, i've tried everything that i can think of although i'm not so experienced with wireless, updates and patches have been installed, also i cannot now access the routers config screen by typing 192.168.0.1, it comes back with service ntot found,

anyone got any ideas or help for me, thanks in advance

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

May be this can Help.
Jack.

"pakolainen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi all, here's the prob, bought myself a d-link dwl-g650+ wireless pcima
card and a d-link di-624 4 port lan router, my idea was to free myself of
cables and use my laptop in the garden, it is the only pc in the house,
installed the software for the card and configured the router, however even
tho i have a 54mbps connectio between the router and card, if i attempt to
access the net, it fonds no service, i've tried everything that i can think
of although i'm not so experienced with wireless, updates and patches have
been installed, also i cannot now access the routers config screen by typing
192.168.0.1, it comes back with service ntot found,

> anyone got any ideas or help for me, thanks in advance

I have the exact same setup, you can only access the 192.168.0.1 of the router with a physical (not wireless) connection. You will have to connect it with a cable then you can adjust the settings of the router. After that you should be ok.

thanks for a swift response, hope it helps, starting to tear hair from my head with this thing

excellent, just the type of info that i needed to know, kinda of hard to find the right info when you're not really sure where to look

many thanks

Hawk

I have the exact hardware but with a desktop hard wired to the router.
My laptop can access the router with no problems. But, if I remember
correctly, I did configure the router initially with the desktop.

Regards, hawk

jabo wrote:

> I have the exact same setup, you can only access the 192.168.0.1 of the router with a physical (not wireless) connection. You will have to connect it with a cable then you can adjust the settings of the router. After that you should be ok.

papa

Where is your link to the outside world? You need a dial-up, DSL, or cable
modem to which your router WAN port would be connected.

And of course you have to be signed up with an ISP.

"pakolainen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi all, here's the prob, bought myself a d-link dwl-g650+ wireless pcima
card and a d-link di-624 4 port lan router, my idea was to free myself of
cables and use my laptop in the garden, it is the only pc in the house,
installed the software for the card and configured the router, however even
tho i have a 54mbps connectio between the router and card, if i attempt to
access the net, it fonds no service, i've tried everything that i can think
of although i'm not so experienced with wireless, updates and patches have
been installed, also i cannot now access the routers config screen by typing
192.168.0.1, it comes back with service ntot found,

> anyone got any ideas or help for me, thanks in advance

yeah that's all done, signed up with adsl, problem seems to be that the router and card don't always see each other and an ip address isn't being issued to the card from the router????
an uninstallation of both products and then starting again might be the best way to go
thanks

papa

Yes, I agree. Removing, then re-installing the software may be the answer.
Good luck.