Setting up a Wireless

bskoros

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002
Im trying to setup a wireless connection for my laptop.

I am running a Linksys etherfast cable router/four port switch (befser41) now for my wired PC's and their working fine. I added a D-Link DWL-900AP on one of the ports of the Linksys, and used a Nexland Z-Com PCMCIA adapter on my Thinkpad (win98). All SEEMS to be configured, the link LED is lit on the card, and is flashing on the AP, but I can not get past that. Under WINIPCFG, I cant get DHCP to work (on the thinkpad).

What am I missing?

I have the ESSID set the same on both the card and AP.
Both are on the same channel.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

bskoros

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002
Yes, the channels are set the same, and no,I have encryption off. the link led is on though......

Didnt think it would be this hard to make it work!! (famous last words, right!?)

Are all computers set up in the same workgroup???
Are you in adhoc,bridge, or Access Point mode with the wireless AP????

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rick_Criswell on 09/27/02 06:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
wireless is much harder to set up than physical. Another question: Is MAC filtering perhaps enabled?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

bskoros

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002
I have the AP set to AP mode (not adhoc) and MAC filtering off. If I put the AP in any other mode, then the link LED will be off on the pcmcia card.

My main computer is running XP Pro, while the laptop is running Win98. Both are on the same network, but does that really matter? Im not trying to share files, just my internet connection (cable modem through the linksys router/switch.)

Thanks!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
How did you enter the ESSID? HEX or Ascii? Some software requires hex, and other requires ascii. Sometimes it's hard to realize you're entering it the wrong way.

Just another thought...

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Jusphil

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Just a quick question, is both your access point and router set up for DHCP? something to check out could cause problems.

In the network proright click netwot neighborhood. click properties. Click on tcp/ip for your network card.click properties.

IP Address: Obtain an IP adress automatically. IF you are certai that your Access Point is running DHCP. IF not specify an IP Address . Make sure the IP address and Subnet mask are in the range of your AP and router.

Gateway: enter the address of the lan side of your router (usuually something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.254.1 could be anything.

DNS Cofiguration Enter a host name Anything will work Some Isp require a domain also. Now enter the DNS server IPs provided by your ISP. Some ISPs also require a Domain suffix search order. Enter this if your ISP requires it.

My access point does not do DHCP but my router/switch/Access point does. First specify the Gateway and DNS servers. If this does not work then spcify an IP address.

I aint signing nothing!!!