[SOLVED] Setting up an access point - HELP!!

May 16, 2020
I have sky broadband. I’ve added a cat6 jack and run a cat6 cable to my summerhouse. I’ve taken an old AOL (I said old!) modem and trying to reconfigure it as a wireless point. So I’ve plugged a network cable into my router in the house to the network point and then another data cable from the jack in the summerhouse to the AOL router. Now I’m trying to mess with the settings to get the best WiFi. The WiFi does work but only for small amounts of data and occasionally a YouTube video, it won’t download email and rarely plays a YouTube video without stalling / buffering / giving up! I’ve been trying to do something useful with he settings but with the power or YouTube videos and online searches I’m getting frustrated.

Currently I’m on channel 11...with a MTU of 1472.

There are loads of settings and I have no idea what they all do. I’m sure I can do something relatively simple to get the WiFi working well, please help!!!!

Solution
Probably nothing simple, but there are plenty of guides out there, depends on your router model. You need to turn off DHCP and NAT on the router, set it to a static IP (192.168.1.2 should work) set the gateway to the first router IP and DNS to whatever DNS is showing up in the WAN port settings of the main router.

Or simpler just get a wifi range extender with an ethernet port, they are about $30 or so depending on the model and speeds you want https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX2700/dp/B00L0YLRUW
Probably nothing simple, but there are plenty of guides out there, depends on your router model. You need to turn off DHCP and NAT on the router, set it to a static IP (192.168.1.2 should work) set the gateway to the first router IP and DNS to whatever DNS is showing up in the WAN port settings of the main router.

Or simpler just get a wifi range extender with an ethernet port, they are about $30 or so depending on the model and speeds you want https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX2700/dp/B00L0YLRUW

Solution