Setting up big wireless network problems

Hey, I'm new posting here. First off, I'm a coder, but my boss
recently made me go out to his 46 acre farm to set up a wireless
network... hew figures a computer guy should know how to do this, and
as a matter of fact I should, but I dont. The deal is we need to
connect a temperature monitor on a distant building to the wireless
network. Here's my problem description ( i hope you guys have paience
with me):

We are using DLINK products. We have a wireless router on the office.
the office is about 50 feet away to the watch tower. I ran a cable
from the router to the top of the tower to plug in an access point
(DLINK AP 800+) and took off the access point antennass and replaced
it with a bigger better antenna that shoots straight to the building
where we have the temperature monitor. So far no problem, I get a
pretty good signal on that building (tested it with my laptop) and I
can browse around and everything.
Ok, so now I figured I needed another access point to make the
temperature monitor wireless, since the temp monitor is set up to work
on a network. I've set the DLINK 800AP as an access point and as a
repeater, and I cant get to either the monitor or the access point.
What should i set it as? Access point? Infrastructure repeater with
what MAC address? Ive tried different settings, but I'm kinda lost!

I hope I've explained myself... It's pretty confusing the way we've
got things set up there :p

WHy dont you tell him that you have no idea how to do it?

anibalt@gmail.com (prof3ta) wrote:
>Ok, so now I figured I needed another access point to make the
>temperature monitor wireless, since the temp monitor is set up to work
>on a network.

You need a "client mode" device. Something like the
http://d-link.com/products/?pid=21 ought to work, though I've had a
lot of trouble getting Dim-Link products that are supposed to work
together to actually do what they are supposed to.

Cause I'd also really like to learn why it isnt working.

<Sallyd@klink.bet> wrote in message news:<WYx%c.534$bE1.240659@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> WHy dont you tell him that you have no idea how to do it?
>
> "prof3ta" <anibalt@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hey, I'm new posting here. First off, I'm a coder, but my boss
> > recently made me go out to his 46 acre farm to set up a wireless
> > network... hew figures a computer guy should know how to do this, and
> > as a matter of fact I should, but I dont. The deal is we need to
> > connect a temperature monitor on a distant building to the wireless
> > network. Here's my problem description ( i hope you guys have paience
> > with me):
> >
> > We are using DLINK products. We have a wireless router on the office.
> > the office is about 50 feet away to the watch tower. I ran a cable
> > from the router to the top of the tower to plug in an access point
> > (DLINK AP 800+) and took off the access point antennass and replaced
> > it with a bigger better antenna that shoots straight to the building
> > where we have the temperature monitor. So far no problem, I get a
> > pretty good signal on that building (tested it with my laptop) and I
> > can browse around and everything.
> > Ok, so now I figured I needed another access point to make the
> > temperature monitor wireless, since the temp monitor is set up to work
> > on a network. I've set the DLINK 800AP as an access point and as a
> > repeater, and I cant get to either the monitor or the access point.
> > What should i set it as? Access point? Infrastructure repeater with
> > what MAC address? Ive tried different settings, but I'm kinda lost!
> >
> > I hope I've explained myself... It's pretty confusing the way we've
> > got things set up there :p

What you need on the temperature sensor end is a WORKGROUP BRIDGE this
will allow one or many client ethernet devices to connect through the
access point to the network.

Access points are just that they allow client devices to connect to
its wired ethernet port. These devices are usually laptops or desktop
PC's with the appropriate client adapter card. Some access points can
do bridging but this is becoming less common as manufactures can
charge more for a bridge.

Wireless bridges, bridge networks and work in a point to point or
point to multipoint configuration. They usually will only talk to
other bridges and sometimes only bridges made by the same company.
Clients cannot typically associate to a bridge.

What about using a bridge? A bridge let's you plug in a network cable on
one side and wireless comes out the other. Here is a Linksys product for
that:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=603

DLink probably has something similar.

Jeff

"prof3ta" <anibalt@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey, I'm new posting here. First off, I'm a coder, but my boss
> recently made me go out to his 46 acre farm to set up a wireless
> network... hew figures a computer guy should know how to do this, and
> as a matter of fact I should, but I dont. The deal is we need to
> connect a temperature monitor on a distant building to the wireless
> network. Here's my problem description ( i hope you guys have paience
> with me):
>
> We are using DLINK products. We have a wireless router on the office.
> the office is about 50 feet away to the watch tower. I ran a cable
> from the router to the top of the tower to plug in an access point
> (DLINK AP 800+) and took off the access point antennass and replaced
> it with a bigger better antenna that shoots straight to the building
> where we have the temperature monitor. So far no problem, I get a
> pretty good signal on that building (tested it with my laptop) and I
> can browse around and everything.
> Ok, so now I figured I needed another access point to make the
> temperature monitor wireless, since the temp monitor is set up to work
> on a network. I've set the DLINK 800AP as an access point and as a
> repeater, and I cant get to either the monitor or the access point.
> What should i set it as? Access point? Infrastructure repeater with
> what MAC address? Ive tried different settings, but I'm kinda lost!
>
> I hope I've explained myself... It's pretty confusing the way we've
> got things set up there :p

thanks to everyone! Before I tried the network bridge I decided to
change some settings on a DLINK 810+ and plug that in to the monitor.
I set it to repeat INFRASTRUCTURE and the ETHERNET MAC ADRRESS instead
of the WIRELESS MAC. The monitor went wireless instantly! Then it was
just a matter of port routing to make it accesible outside the
network.
If I need to hook up more stuff ot it (which he'll probably want) Im
going with the bridge idea.