Setting up case with noctua fans

tacoman32

Prominent
May 1, 2017
Hello everyone, I just picked up the Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 and am planning on getting the Corsair H100i cpu cooler. Noctua seems to be the go to brand for top performance while staying very quiet, so I am leaning towards them.

Only thing is, that I'm unsure which to get. The front of the case has some mesh, so I didn't know if it was recommended to go with the A15 PWM, A14 PWM, A14 FLX, or another fan? I can fit up to 3 140s on the front, and one on rear. Open to all brands if they would fit for this role better.

I also plan on having the h100i radiator at the top doing exhaust, for which I can only fit the 240 mm radiator, so would the Noctuas P12 or F12 be better to push through that radiator?

The case also comes with a top rear fan, which I assume is a good idea to use? I just need help figuring out what is optimal.

1)
3x 140s on front, 2x 120s up top, 1x 140 rear (positive)

2)
2x 140s on front, 2x 120s up top, 1x 140 rear (negative)

And my last question, are pwm splitters like the one by SIlverstone good? Or is it better to not use a splitter? I only have 4 slots on my MB which is why I was considering a splitting something like front fans together, and the 2 cpu fans together.

Any and all other suggestions are much appreciated, thank you!

Solution
I looked at the specs of the motherboard and it says it has a 4 pin CPU fan connector, a 4 pin chassis fan connector and a 3 pin chassis fan connector.

The splitter allows two fans to connect to one connector on the motherboard.

I always go PWM because you can get the fans to adjust their speed depending on temperature. Some motherboards allow DC control of 3 pin fans but if not they run at maximum speed all the time even if your PC is idle not doing anything. Some people are happy with this, my PC is in my living room so I want it as quiet as possible.

Nick_50

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
Noctua fans come with 1 PWM splitter per fan so no need to buy extra ones. For the radiator get the ones with the highest static pressure so F12 PWM.

For the config, I would buy all the fans and try setup 1 then move the front 140mm fan to the rear and compare temps to see which set up is best, you won't be wasting any fans.

For case fans I would get A14 PWM personally.

tacoman32

Prominent
May 1, 2017
Any reason why PWM, especially on case fans as well? I've never used them so I don't know how they would affect things.

And the splitter they come with, is that to connect 2 fans to 1 port? And if so, Would that splitter connect to the CHA_FAN1 or the CPU_FAN? I have the ASUS P8P67 Pro, and am not sure where would be optimal to connect the split CPU radiator fans.

Nick_50

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
I looked at the specs of the motherboard and it says it has a 4 pin CPU fan connector, a 4 pin chassis fan connector and a 3 pin chassis fan connector.

The splitter allows two fans to connect to one connector on the motherboard.

I always go PWM because you can get the fans to adjust their speed depending on temperature. Some motherboards allow DC control of 3 pin fans but if not they run at maximum speed all the time even if your PC is idle not doing anything. Some people are happy with this, my PC is in my living room so I want it as quiet as possible.

Solution