Setting up dual hard drives

Sep 15, 2017
I have just a 1 TB hard drive, it is almost full, I only have 300 GB left and I feel like that will be taken up quickly, I was wanting to know how to install second one, I Know i just plug them into the sata ports as needed, but is there any software stuff I need to worry about? Will the pc just start using the second hard drive automatically? Will it recognize this as an addition or will it just ignore it? I tried adding an old 520 GB I use to have to it, (still had windows 7 on it, may have been the problem?) The PC booted up with 1 TB and loaded windows 10 normally but I wasn't quite sure how to move files over, if I want to move a game over to the second hard drive will it still show on my main desktop and I can still open it and play it through the second hard drive?

Software?
Will the Pc use the hard drive automatically?
Will the PC ignore the hard drive?
Can I use apps and games like normal if there on the second Hard Drive?

Solution

Well I'm aware (based on your other post) that you're interested in installing a M.2 type SSD and you had indicated a preference for the Samsung 960 Pro M.2. But might you consider the Samsung 850 EVO M.2 1 TB SSD? It goes for about $358, a goodly sum of course, but consider in terms of performance it's neck-and-neck with the 860. If...
The PC will only put what you tell it on the new hard drive. You can't just move software(games and apps) to the new drive, they have to be installed to that drive.

If you use steam you could create a new game folder on the new drive, and move games from within the steam client.

Sep 15, 2017

I assumed I need the directories set to the proper directories on the new drive, so if i setup the new drive with the proper directories it will work properly?

Sep 15, 2017

Yes this is the same setup, I am trying to setup m.2 as bootup, have my main 1 TB hard drive and I would like to add either another 1 TB hard drive or add a 1 TB SSD or replace them with a 2 TB SSD (just costly to do SSD)

you would have to go through windows disk manager to setup the drive. as for moving programs over you can't because when programs are installed they also put enteries into the windows registy so moving directories over will not work

Well I'm aware (based on your other post) that you're interested in installing a M.2 type SSD and you had indicated a preference for the Samsung 960 Pro M.2. But might you consider the Samsung 850 EVO M.2 1 TB SSD? It goes for about $358, a goodly sum of course, but consider in terms of performance it's neck-and-neck with the 860. If you could swing for it it's something to consider for your AMD Ryzen build.

You could clone the ENTIRE contents of your present 1 TB HDD onto the M.2 thus getting the performance you are looking for with that Ryzen build; ALL your present programs, apps, desired data would be on that 1 TB M.2.

Then you could utilize the entire disk-space of your present 1 TB as a secondary drive.

It's something to consider if you could swing for that Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB M.2, is it not?

Solution
Sep 15, 2017

That sounds actually pretty good, so your saying have the m.2 as the startup with windows and my main storage and just changing the hard drive i have into the secondary drive?

Sure, why not? If you could afford that Samsung 1 TB M.2 SSD you'd never regret it. It's the "stuff dreams are made of". You could utilize that 1 TB HDD as a secondary HDD for additional storage, backup purposes, whatever your needs are.