Setting Up GPU

Lbunter12

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
Ok so i have just bought and put together several parts for a desktop PC but i go to turn it on and all the fans and lights startup (even the graphics card one) but i get no image on my monitor at all (black screen) so i can't even get to the BIOS. there is no onboard graphics card in this motherboard.
i have also tried with HDMI and VGA cables

Here are my Specs
MSI 970 motherboard.
2x4gb HyperX Ram
ASUS geforce GTX 650 graphics card
AMD FX 8370 Processor
Corsair HX750 Watt power supply

Lbunter12

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
this graphics card doesn't take power from the pus directly anyway and its fans working so i think the psu is working so it could be the graphic card but i can't afford anougher to try so i wanna make sure I've tried everything first...

What is the model number of your graphics card, because most of the GTX 650's require a single 6 pin PCI power connection. The GPU card cooler's power and lights would be supplied through the PCI slot, so the fact that both those things are working is no indication that the card is actually getting the power it needs to function.

Double check that you have both the 4 or 8, AND the 24 pin motherboard power connections fully plugged in. There are many "MSI 970" motherboards. Which model is yours? The 970 gaming or something else?

Also, make absolutely certain you have all the RAM fully seated. An unseated memory module, or even partially seated, can allow power to everything but will not boot, will not display anything and in some cases will result in the system shutting down after a few seconds or minute of operation.

jndyer

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
I had a very similar situation just last week with a MSI 970 gaming. The problem ended up being that I forgot to plug in the 8 pin cpu power cable.

I would say pull all connectors and re-seat everything to make sure it is plugged in properly.

Lbunter12

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
it has an 8pin going into the motherboard next to it which has been in the whole time... and yes i have 2 sticks of 4gb and since i don't know if they need to be in certain slots in order i put one at each end for the moment.

Lbunter12

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
ok i did that dark. but i also just bought a bran new gtx 970 graphic card. and i have a slightly different problem. all the lights turn on and fans when i use the gtx650 ( i still get no screen image) but when i take it out and put the 970 in then plug it into the power supply swell as the monitor and try to start the computer nothing will start but there is a little white light on the graphics card and thats it. i thought this might be i don't have a large enough power supply but i went through another forum and a special calculator for power supply and i have way more than i would need for my specs. so i was wondering if there are any other solutions to this...

Lbunter12

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
ok so nvm that question i was using the wrong cable between so i can now plug power into the 970 gpu and it will startup but back to the original problem of it will not produce anything on the monitor screen through hdmi...

You were using the wrong cable for what? Were you also using that wrong cable prior to the new card? If you've had the wrong cable plugged into something, regardless of what it is or what the "wrong" cable was supposed to be going to, all bets are off and anything could be wrong.

Make sure you have the correct 8 pin going to the motherboard, and go through that checklist all over again. If you somehow plugged an 8 pin PEG cable (For the GPU card) into the motherboard, or plugged the CPU power cable into the graphics card, I'd just about guarantee something is damaged.

Lbunter12

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
i was using hdmi on both card and this cable worked from my laptop too the monitor but i just bought and tried a bran new dvi cable and that doesn't work either so it can't be the cable. and no i watched several videos before making it and i have defiantly put the cables the right places.

Ok. I thought you meant one of the power cables was the wrong cable. My bad. Whew. I thought it was trouble for sure. Well, you still never indicated exactly which board you have. Is it the MSI 970 Gaming, because there are other MSI 970 series chipset boards.

I'm wondering if you don't have a problem with it being an unsupported CPU. When that board was released, and through several of the BIOS revisions, that CPU model wasn't supported. So if you have an older BIOS on there you may need to update it, which means you'd need a CPU that WAS supported with it's current BIOS, in order to update to a newer BIOS that supports that 8370.

Or, it might support it, but I can't tell for sure because I can never access the CPU support page (Compatibility tab) on the MSI website product pages, because their website sucks. Maybe you can get in there and check it to see what revision of the BIOS is required to use that CPU.

Lbunter12

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
yes it is an MSI 970 gaming motherboard and it says on there website that this processor is supported. i have a picture just don't know how to upload it to this post...
http://
also i have tried 2 monitors with hdmi and dvi and 1 tv with hdmi so it can't be the screen. and as previously stated this is the second graphics card i have and its bran new so i don't know what to do next...