Setting up linksys router as access point

keg10906

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Hello,
i have a verizon usb720 modem. i want to set up my wirless printer. Previously i had this set up by a profesional. I bought a new computer and am now trying to set this up. I have a linksys router as well wrt54g how is tis done. you cannot connect anything to the modem but i have read that you can turn the router into an access point. Any suggestions.

What's the goal here? I see a usb720 (cellular) modem, a wireless router (I assume NOT connected to cable/dsl ISP), and a computer.

Are you simply trying to share the cellular access w/ the rest of your network via your wireless router?

keg10906

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
yes i have a wireless printer i want to set up i have heard that with verizon that you can set up a router as an access point in order to send the signal to the printer since you cannot actually connect a router to the usb modem.

keg10906

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

yes i have a wireless printer i want to set up i have heard that with verizon that you can set up a router as an access point in order to send the signal to the printer since you cannot actually connect a router to the usb modem.

keg10906

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

ok i got the linksys set up as the access point but when i try to do the ics with the verizon it does not allow me to. i go to control panel, network and sharing, manage network connections, right click then properties, a vzaccess box comes up and denies the access. do you have any suggestions for that.

keg10906

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

there is no desktop just one laptop my linksys and the wireless printer.

Ok, let's back up here, because I'm getting mixed messages. I asked whether you need to use a wireless router so you can share the USB modem's internet access. You said yes. Now you tell me there's only the laptop and the wireless printer. If there's nothing other than the laptop, then there’s nothing else w/ which the internet access can be shared!

So again, are we trying to share Internet access w/ the modem, or simply trying to get your wireless printer and laptop connected on the same local network (and the USB modem is irrelevant)? Those are two different goals.

If you already have Internet access w/ the USB modem, and that's the only other device needing internet access, and you just need to access the wireless printer, then it's simple. You setup the wireless router as normal and connect the printer to the wireless router. On the laptop, you connect it using either a wired or wireless connection (whichever you have/prefer). Now you have internet access via the USB modem, while simultaneously have access to the printer over wireless.

keg10906

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

Ok sorry im not very good with the computer stuff and explaining it. there is one laptop a linksys and a wireless printer. the router was previously set up as an access point. i can see it on my laptop as a access point but its not connecting. so when i try to set up the printer the printer is pulling up the ip of the router which is a 192 and the computers ip changes. so the computer is not finding the printer. i called epson and they said that it looks like the printer and computer are on seperate networks and ive gotten advice from several different people so now i am just confused and getting frustrated. i dont have the money to call linksys and have them charge me to tell me its epsons problem or microsoft. i know how it works they all just well this looks fine so call this guy. please help i would really appreciate it. :cry:

First thing to do is a factory reset on the router. While powered ON, hold the reset button for 30 seconds, then release. This will return the router to its default state. Most routers are designed to work "out of the box", so by resetting you should be able to hook up your laptop and wireless printer. Usually the router uses the 192.168.1.x network (so all devices will range from 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.254), and the router itself will have the specific IP of 192.168.1.1. Most network devices also default to DHCP, which means they will query the DHCP server running on your router for their network configuration. The wireless SSID will probably be “linksys”, and wireless security will be disabled.

So once you do the factory reset, everything will usually just work by default. Just connect to the Linksys’s SSID, leaving wireless security blank. The manufacturer knows that ppl would otherwise have trouble getting connected if they didn’t make it as easy as possible.

Of course, one difficulty is that although the printer will get connected it won’t be immediately obvious what IP address it’s using. But once you start the installation process for the printer drivers, the installer should be able to locate the printer through the discovery process.

Since using DHCP to assign an IP address means the IP address can change from time to time, that’s not good for a printer. You should either change the printer to use a static IP, or else reserve the IP it’s currently using by going to the DHCP section of your router’s web interface ( http://192.168.1.1 ) and binding the printer’s MAC address to that IP. NOTE: Not all routers have this feature, and I don’t know if yours does or does not. If not, then you’ll have to manually assign the IP address of printer using a static IP. If I knew the specific make/model of printer, I might be able to provide more specific details.