Question setting up Mac Book Pro and eGPU?

Feb 25, 2019
Sorry if this is a bit long---owing to a number of changes (current MacBook Pro has poor graphics and full HD, need to renovate my graphics windows machine, etc. I am looking to find a sweet spot in terms of running high-end graphics on an OSX system but also the need, for many of my graphics systems (including laser scanning and a Freeform haptic CAD system) to have high end Windows capability as well. I could simply replicate my current two-part system--a new MacBoo Pro with better graphics, a larger SSD, and perhaps a dual boot option for some windows support....Plus a new windows desktop with good core structure and suitable graphics and drive space) or, in looking into eGPU's, which seemed mostly used for gaming, I thought I might be able to create a system that was more portable with an eGPU with higher graphics (that won't also overheat the Mac) that would support my Windows needs--would still need a dual boot, and would need to figure our a hard-drive system for data storage so I don't max out the book again......

I have no real experience with such a system, and was wondering if someone here does, and has some seasoned thoughts. I don't need gaming, just very good CAD, including rendering, for some of my projects.

Thanks. New here, Jay

Hey Jay,

FYI - I removed your duplicate post advising you had also posted in another section. No need for a separate post for that. Not a big deal, just edit the existing post if you want to mention that next time. Helps keep the thread clean :)

On to the issue:

Mac's support eGPU's from MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and higher - Apple eGPU Support page. The support page linked there has details on how to set it up, and lists supported configurations. From the article, apparently only certain AMD GPU's are supported in specific eGPU enclosures. I unfortunately don't have any experience actually hooking one up and using it on the Mac side, though the article makes it appear as though when running an officially supported configuration, it's SUPER easy to set up. Not sure if other GPU's or other enclosures will work on the Mac side and are just finicky to actually get working, or if they simply won't work at all. Someone with more experience with these on Mac's could speak to that better than I could.

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
Hi Jay. I had advised someone once on such a situation as yours. Recommend finding the system requirements for each software program you plan to run as well (including what all the apps need if all open) as compatibility with Mac. Once you know the system requirements, it's always best to aim 30-40% higher in performance as things change rapidly. From there, you can run Windows on Mac (VMWare) and have it all on one machine (I ran a windows only program years ago). Would use the biggest SSD you can afford, then move projects to an external drive when finished or not accessing on a regular basis. Thats a good place to start. You can also make a free appointment at the Apple store and speak with them with what you would like to do. They will give you recommendations. I definitely recommend Apple for what you are doing. I recently build a pc gaming computer and with all the updates that Win10 does, it's just not practical. Some ideas.

spinningstill

Honorable
Jan 15, 2018
It should also be noted that you must have a Mac with a Thunderbolt 3 (Type-C) connection (9-5 Mac). With this requirement, seems one would just go with the best possible GPU configured Mac at purchase since if you purchase a new Mac that has this USB-C, it would be more practical to simply invest in the best possible GPU at the time of purchase. And yes, this excess (eGPU) is for gaming.