[SOLVED] Setting up my home network to use separate computer as a server

koslaw

Prominent
Jul 10, 2020
I was wondering if I could set up my old desktop to be used as a server for my house. The way I have it set up now is mainly just for Plex for my movies. But I would like to be able to use it as a data server for files. My main goal is to use it so I can transfer/access files between my other desktop and laptops. It currently is running windows 10 and has two 4TB drives, one is used for media and the other I would like to use for data. In a perfect world I would like to be able to use it as something I can access outside my network like if I was at someone else's house using their WiFi, but I would settle for it just working within my home network. One of my laptops is a macbook if that makes a difference for being able to transfer files. I'm not the best when it comes to doing this stuff and would rather not have to use a different OS or expensive program to make this work but an open to suggestions.

Thanks for your time and help!

Solution
You can convert your pc into a NAS with Unraid or TrueNAS. From there, you can use docker and plugins to run your plex server.

You can access files by opening up ports on your router, but most people believe the better approach is to use a VPN to log into your network instead.
You can convert your pc into a NAS with Unraid or TrueNAS. From there, you can use docker and plugins to run your plex server.

You can access files by opening up ports on your router, but most people believe the better approach is to use a VPN to log into your network instead.

Solution